Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

binocular upgrade

VAspeedgoat

I currently have a pair of leupold cascades and was looking to upgrade a little. I would like to be $600 or less so I was looking at the leupold mojave pro guide hd, steiner predator, and virtex viper. I always tend to lean towards leupold bit was curious to get you guys to compare or suggest other manufacturers. I have a gold ring hd spotter and was trying to get similar glass. I like the steiner eyecups but have never been able to compare them side by side with others. Any and all help appreciated.

i have the viper HD's and for the $ i didnt see glass even close in clarity. everyones eyes are different so try to look thru as many as possible, and always take them outside with the sales guy. if your just blind internet ordering i would vote for the vipers.

C

I picked up a pair of the Vortex Talon HD 10x42 last year and have been very impressed with them. I used them all season for whitetail and for elk in CO last fall. Comfortable and good glass for the money. Haven't experienced any eye strain and used them for hours at a time while glassing in CO. Picked them up for under $500 at Bass Pro.

I bought a pair of Vortex Viper hd 10x42 and I love them. I don't think there is a better balance between price and quality than these. Compact and lightweight, works great in low light conditions, lifetime warranty, and you can get them on sale for about $550.

I bought a pair of the Vortex Talons 10x42's also for my son last year. I'm very impressed with this product. No one has a better warranty either!

I bought the vortex last year and love them. Felt a little guilty have never bought anything but leupold my whole life, but the vortex continue to impress me.

everyones eyes are different so try to look thru as many as possible, and always take them outside with the sales guy.

C

Yes, look at a few outside. Take time to check clarity to the edges. After all, what good is a FOV spec if it is blurry for a good portion of the view. I will have the new Theron HD-ED models in a couple weeks that would beat them all in price and of course image quality.

I bought a gently used pair of Leupold Mojave bx3's 10x42 and for my eyes they were heads and tails more clear than even the $1000 vortex binos. I tried a bunch at cabelas after harassing an empoyee into letting me take 8 pairs outside one at a time near dusk by leaving my hole wallet with him. Try as many out as you can, you may have different rests but I am supremely satisfied.

The viper Hds are great in that price range but my choice would be Nikon Monarch 7s , a little cheaper than the vipers and IMHO have clearer glass. Nikon also has a no fault lifetime warrenty now

My wife has the Mojaves and a hunting buddy has the Steiners. Both are good glass for the money. You could probably find some used or bargain bin Cabelas Euro 10X42's in that price range and get better glass. Vortex spotting scopes are pretty nice for the money but I've heard too many complaints on broken frames on their binos. A great warranty isn't much help when your are on the mountain with no binoculars and they aren't going to break in the closet.

That was another one on my list. I'm pretty interested in the therons that schmalts talked about. There are a bunch of guys on here that have them.

A buddy of mine had a pair of Leupolds that he used in a very rough manner for many years. He finally sent them in to see if they could be repaired. Leupold sent him a brand new pair.

I am not sure what every brands warranty policy is but you should think about it before buying.

I bought a pair of Swaro's 10x42 SLC in 2006, paid 1200.00. Just Sold them for $975.00
that is $22.50 per Year or $1.87 per Month to own the best glass made. I should note that I sold mine in order to buy a pair of swaro 15x56. Just my 2 cents

No argument that Swaros are the shitz but the the 500 buck class glass has come a long way...and most hunters I know simply can't do 1- 2 grand & up..

...that said, a pair of SLC's at 975 is a bargain.

Last edited:
Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back