binocular upgrade

One of the big things I also notice with high dollar glass is that folks care for there optics much better then the lower end glass, everyone working stiff I know such as myself know where there bios are at all time, all year long. the 15x56 I just bought I paid 1500.00 for used and they look brand new.

Check out the Texas Binoman web sight for used swaro's This is the guy that I sold and bought mine form.

Several years ago I bought a pair of used Leica 10X42 Ultravid. I have always had Nikon or Steiner or Luepold before that. I had to skrimp and save to get them, but I've never once regreted it. All of the mid range priced glass is pretty much the same. Once to get to the premium end of the line you will notice a definate difference in brightness, clarity and the way your eyes feel after stairing through them for 4 or 5 hours. Save your money and buy really good, high end glass. It's one of the few investments that is really worth the extra bucks.

A couple of years ago I upgraded to a pair of used Leupold gold ring switch powers 10&17x42 for $500. I have no idea why Leupold didn't advertise them more. I have used them extensively on a number of very hard hunts from backpacking in Utah for elk and mule deer to an altai ibex hunt in Mongolia. I have loaned them to a number of people that spend a significant time behind binos and they have all been impressed with the glass and the ability to switch to 17 powers once they were steady. I work hand in hand with a biologist (big time birder) who loves her Swaros, but a couple years ago they broke and she had to send them in on warranty. She asked if she could barrow my switch powers while hers were in the shop and when they finally came back she said she didn't know if she wanted to give mine back, because she liked them so much.

I total recognize that the glass is as good as the alpha dealers, but I didn't have to pay near as much and I know whether I am looking at buck or doe long before those with alpha glass. At least one time a season I find myself in a situation where I need to make a quick decision and start moving. The couple of minutes that I have saved from not unpacking my spotter, has made a big difference.

Originally I started looking at the Leica switch powers but they were 10+15x50s, but I didn't like the extra weight from the larger objective lens and the lower power (15 vs 17). I have also been VERY happy with Leupold's service department.

I have a pair of Leica geovids that were worth every penny. I would suggest buying as high of quality glass as you can afford. That being said if your going to stay under 1000$ I would seriously look at vortex as it has the best warranty on the market.

I would recommend the Zeiss Terra line, I have a set of 8x42 and I think the quality is far greater than the cost, certainly worth putting them in your line up for $399.00.

I have a pair of Leica geovids that were worth every penny. I would suggest buying as high of quality glass as you can afford. That being said if your going to stay under 1000$ I would seriously look at vortex as it has the best warranty on the market.

What makes their warranty better than most?

Take a look at the Zeiss Conquest HDs. I just got a pair for darn near your budget. I've used some older Nikon Monarchs for years, but after borrow the Conquest HDs this spring, I had to have a pair of my own!

I was impressed by Zeiss Terras even. Found Zeiss HD conquests for half what used Swaros go for online.
I'm going to upgrade soon too. Love my Zeiss riflescope.

looked thru the zeiss at cabelas and for the money they were very nice/clear.I have therons,and have no complaints for the few times a year I use them

Thanks to all for your thoughtful replys. I have decided to take schmalts up on a pair of the new therons he talked about. I will give a report on them when they get here. Sounds like it will be a little while longer.

Well I went to breakfast w/the boys and came home to Big Fins bino blow out come and gone while I was gone....lol. My luck.
I'm seriously looking at the Zeiss Conquest 10x42's or the 50's if I can find them.

I'm thinking high quality 10x42's would work fine for me.
I have spotter for real long distance,but I'm really partial to 10x50's in this big open country for general use. One guy said the better 42's would be the ticket ,but outfitter buddy said you know the 50's work way better out here.
He suggested Vortex Viper 10x50's or 12x50's,price/warranty & close to quality.
I'm leaning toward the 10x42 higher quality glass of the Conquests.
Wish I could find Zwaros or Leicas for less than my 1st home down payment....lol
What say you HTers? Better 10x42's or less quality 10x 50's?

I will try to make it quick.
I would go and check out bino at the store early in the morning or late in the day 7-9 pm, ask the employee to take it outside and check it out.

Back