Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Bilstein 5100 installation on titan

TOGIE

This is a slight warning post, and a venting post, and question for some front range colorado guys

had a local shop install 5100s on my 2014 titan on tuesday. i was very hesitant after reading numerous times over on Titan Talk that it is extremely common to have faulty installations with these due to forgetting bring over the OEM washers - ironically from shops most often it seems. but i trusted that professional mechanic would know what to do

well sure as chit, looks like they forgot to, not 24 hours after installation looky looky:

IMG-5860.jpg

it's popped through the strut plate from the only reason i can assume is the missing oem washer that supposed to be above the bushings but below the strut plate

it almost hurts my heart more when you were afraid this what they would do and then they did it, than not even thinking a professional mechanic would do this.

i took it straight back and told them i think they forgot the washers under there, and they assured me they would figure it out. we'll see.

do people here agree that's the problem? right now i'm gonna trust this shop to fix it right, though i'm assuming they might have to reorder the oem washers if they already tossed them. can't imagine just 5 miles of driving it like this back to the shop ruined the shock.

i have a mechanic in denver i greatly trust, but i've moved further north and this is my second time using this guy. unfortunately we rent a condo and i don't have the space, tools, or skills to do this myself, though i bet i could figure it out if i had to.

has anybody along the front range had 5100s installed by a mechanic that did it right? specifically on the titan? i'm operating under the assumption that this oem washer situation is unique to titans but i'm not sure.

ugh

update: they already called back.

YES they discovered they forgot to put the washers under the strut plate, on both sides.

be warned if you want to put 5100s on a 2004-2015 titan! from their (the shops) perspective they said bilstein forgot parts in the kit. from everything i've read, bilstein expects you to use the oem washers. seems like both sides make a fair point. i think maybe bilstein could be more explicit about theirs.

Last edited:
Back