Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

bighorn neck meat uses?

Khunter

So what do y’all sheep nuts do with the neck meat off your bighorn sheep? Finishing cutting and wrapping my sheep and wonder if there is a better/higher use for bighorn neck meat than burger or stew meat?

So what do y’all sheep nuts do with the neck meat off your bighorn sheep? Finishing cutting and wrapping my sheep and wonder if there is a better/higher use for bighorn neck meat than burger or stew meat?
Congrats on the ram. Wish I had those 1st world kind of problems. I’ll be interested to see how it turns out, whatever you do with it.

I called the neck meat from my ram roasts. Brown and cook all day in a crock pot with your favorite roast recipe. Meat falls apart. I didn’t care for the steaks from my sheep. The texture of the meat made better roasts.

I typically will braise neck meat from any wild game and then shred it for either tacos, nachos, or pulled/shredded bbq sandwiches. I change my braising liquid depending on what the end result is going to be. Hank Shaw has a really good braised taco recipe I like.

I used Hank Shaw’s barbacoa recipe with elk neck for a party last year and it was stupid good. Bet it’d be even better with your ram.

I'll second the barbacoa suggestion.... I REALLY like the burritos at Cafe Rio that use pork barbacoa so I googled the recipe and got this. Have done it twice with elk neck and can tell you it is now my favorite way to eat elk.... besides maybe just a medium rare chunk of backstrap.

I'll second the barbacoa suggestion.... I REALLY like the burritos at Cafe Rio that use pork barbacoa so I googled the recipe and got this. Have done it twice with elk neck and can tell you it is now my favorite way to eat elk.... besides maybe just a medium rare chunk of backstrap.

I do the same. Makes fantastic tacos, and even better enchiladas.

I do the same. Makes fantastic tacos, and even better enchiladas.

Its true. Don't over complicate it. You get the best meat with the most yield by just tossing it in the slow cooker with some broth or something. Excellent meat. I prefer it to just about anything...and so do my kiddos and bride

Its true. Don't over complicate it. You get the best meat with the most yield by just tossing it in the slow cooker with some broth or something. Excellent meat. I prefer it to just about anything...and so do my kiddos and bride

I like to sear the hell out of it then cover it with Barbacoa sauce, then braise.

Although I’ve never had the opportunity to try bighorn sheep, use the neck like I would any venison. Brown all size on a hot cast iron skillet in butter or Olive oil. Then slow cook in the crock pot with half red wine and water or broth. Add some roasted or uncooked onions, garlic, carrots, etc to the mix. Be generous on the salt, pepper, and rosemary!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KJ1225
Back