Caribou Gear

Big tree thread

This tree is not just a regular ponderosa. This is a bearing tree tied to a mineral survey corner as a witness to the monument. This tree was scribed in 1898 and according to the original notes in 1898 was 11" in diameter. In 2022 when found was at 24" in diameter. The scar in the lower portion of trunk you could identify part of the original scribe in the tree. I would say this tree is somewhere in the 125-150 year old range and still looked very healthy. The rough elevation of this tree was 5600’. 5A14D8D6-20D6-4A3E-8BF2-3C292A4891AE.jpeg

Big Cedar near Elk River Idaho.
The big root crown on those cedars tends to be hollow. Back in the day, loggers would cut them down above the root wad then build a makeshift roof over the stump and live in it. Many were much bigger than the one in the picture.

Ever feel like you just don't belong any more. Like you don't fit in, or the world has marched on and left you in it's wake?

I suspect that's how this old white oak feels. I see a lot of trees like this. If this was my land (it is public), I'd do some clearing around this old warrior.

20220414 Big White Oak.jpg

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NMArcheryCoues24
Back