PEAX Equipment

Big tree thread

This was the largest western larch or Tamerack on record until about 80 feet blew out of the top. Still pretty impressive. It’s harder to find now with the top gone, still a faint trail from the highway to the tree but folks don’t stop much any more. Catherine found the tree 35 years ago, we stop once a year.
That's a real dandy. My favorite tree, or at least one of them.

Going down the tall tree wormhole lead me to this. I would never have guessed that Tasmania has so many huge trees and largest of their species (including the worlds third tallest tree- Centurion).

The big trees here are awesome. Some examples of Tasmanian Mountain Ash ( Eucalyptus Regnans ) from the Central Highlands of Tasmania, where I mostly hunt.

Attachments

• P1030984.jpg
    P1030984.jpg
    357.6 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0619.jpg
    IMG_0619.jpg
    256.6 KB · Views: 23
  • 5-mile hut - Copy1.jpg
    5-mile hut - Copy1.jpg
    255.7 KB · Views: 24
  • CIMG5852.jpg
    CIMG5852.jpg
    235.7 KB · Views: 23
  • P1060762.jpg
    P1060762.jpg
    360.3 KB · Views: 23
These idiots are trying to preserve a dead Sycamore. 13' vertical cut all the way around it. I've seen a lot of stupidity on my drilling/shoring jobs , but this was definitely a first. View attachment 247883
We’re they required by a municipality? We see that a lot here in Denver. Required tree protection zones or pay thousands in order to replace the removed canopy.

We’re they required by a municipality? We see that a lot here in Denver. Required tree protection zones or pay thousands in order to replace the removed canopy.
It was a self inflicted penalty by the owners. They brought in a "natural care arborist " who advised them that saving the "dead" tree was the green thing to do. Shoring engineer layed out the piles accordingly and now this dead tree is an island of violations, city is involved, neighbors are involved, owner is losing financing,, it's a comedy . We're expecting very heavy rainfall next week, I'm thinking about parking some heavily insured older equipment under the tree.
A 13' vertical cut all the way around an unhealthy tree and they are risking their entire construction loan trying to save it. Complete idiocracy. Screenshot_20221102_214117.jpg

It was a self inflicted penalty by the owners. They brought in a "natural care arborist " who advised them that saving the "dead" tree was the green thing to do. Shoring engineer layed out the piles accordingly and now this dead tree is an island of violations, city is involved, neighbors are involved, owner is losing financing,, it's a comedy . We're expecting very heavy rainfall next week, I'm thinking about parking some heavily insured older equipment under the tree.
A 13' vertical cut all the way around an unhealthy tree and they are risking their entire construction loan trying to save it. Complete idiocracy. View attachment 247887
Wild, yeah there is no way that tree will live even if it started out healthy. To have a chance retaining walls would have needed to be built and regularly irrigated. How it is now the water will leach out before the tree has a chance to absorb it. Not to mention cut roots and the impact to the soils around the tree changing drastically. With a tree of that size the proper tree protection zone should have been 3-4x to even have a chance of surviving. 🤦‍♂️

Wild, yeah there is no way that tree will live even if it started out healthy. To have a chance retaining walls would have needed to be built and regularly irrigated. How it is now the water will leach out before the tree has a chance to absorb it. Not to mention cut roots and the impact to the soils around the tree changing drastically. With a tree of that size the proper tree protection zone should have been 3-4x to even have a chance of surviving. 🤦‍♂️
Shoring piles were already drilled and beams placed along the top un-excavated side in the pic...the tree is literally a dirt island now with all roots cut and waiting to fall over.
Without getting political, I thoroughly enjoy watching this crowd bankrupt themselves in the name of "self awareness "

A 13' vertical cut all the way around an unhealthy tree and they are risking their entire construction loan trying to save it. Complete idiocracy.
So, they want to keep a dead tree because of environmental concerns, right? That begs the question, how many live "green" plants were destroyed, and animals displaced by that big old hole dug all around the tree? There was a time a long, long time ago that I thought that humans were an intelligent species. But this sort of thing, and of course the onset of election season, have convinced me I was wrong.

This maples burl was huge. Gave me a lot of pleasure at the lathe. Turning turkey call, live edge bowls.

Attachments

• th_20130629_201512-1.jpg
    th_20130629_201512-1.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 14
  • 20130629_201504.jpg
    20130629_201504.jpg
    268.6 KB · Views: 13
  • 20180124_145719.jpg
    20180124_145719.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 11
  • 20180124_145723.jpg
    20180124_145723.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 12
  • 20180408_110207.jpg
    20180408_110207.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 14
These idiots are trying to preserve a dead Sycamore. 13' vertical cut all the way around it. I've seen a lot of stupidity on my drilling/shoring jobs , but this was definitely a first. View attachment 247883
They basically cut more then half the diameter of its root system. If the tree was to have a good fighting chance to survive they sure didn't help it. I've seen sycamore 3 times that size survive along the Potomac River with badly damaged trunks.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrGeauxNewMexico
Back