PEAX Equipment

Big tree thread

We stopped to admire a big cedar grove at just under 5k ft elevation a few years ago. Similar to what Randy said, most we see are in creek bottoms. A lot of big trees and devil's club in the creek bottoms that where were down to 2,500 ft. I think the few elk and deer here die of old age or predators.

bigcedars.jpg

Devils club at <3k ft:
devils club.jpg

I'm amazed any tree could grow out on the wind swept prairie of SE Wyoming
View attachment 260642View attachment 260643
Your photo reminded me of another tree on an equally windswept, empty part of Wyoming.

Everything seemed to orient from this tree. Antelope, cattle and people used it for shade, butchery, and orientiering. The ground under it was trampled and eroded to the point that the roots were exposed and worn. Not sure how it survived and I wonder if it still does. Antelope unit 67. Anyone seen it lately?

1673702950187.jpeg

Your photo reminded me of another tree on an equally windswept, empty part of Wyoming.

Everything seemed to orient from this tree. Antelope, cattle and people used it for shade, butchery, and orientiering. The ground under it was trampled and eroded to the point that the roots were exposed and worn. Not sure how it survived and I wonder if it still does. Antelope unit 67. Anyone seen it lately?

View attachment 260666
I'll keep an eye out for it if I ever make it to that part.

Around 34dhb. Not really that big of a tree. Similar Ponderosa in the bottom was only 112
That’s crazy! It was a ponderosa? Not something like a brisclecone? That diameter seems super small for a tree of that age from my experience.

102FC164-F2A8-46E0-85B6-91111AC4E455.png

That’s crazy! It was a ponderosa? Not something like a brisclecone? That diameter seems super small for a tree of that age from my experience.

View attachment 277240
Nope we were in the Frank Church up on a shitty ridge on a 65% west facing slope. Definitely a ponderosa. Only thing that I could think of was there were 2 similar sized trees that had burnt in 2012 that it was competing with

Back