Big toe injury

seeth07

On the trip we took to SE AK, some of the terrain combined with heavy loads led to me being in a lot of pain in a lot of areas - feet included. The outer side of both of my big toes were extremely sore and completely numb. It now has been over a month later and my left one is good but my right one still 100% has zero feeling on the entire outside of it. Anyone have this happen to them before? Can I expect the feeling to return over time? Do I need to do anything?

Highly recommend a podiatrist visit.

I had foot problems a few years back from hunting with heavy packouts. My feet have high arches, which I thought was good, so without proper support, they flattened a little. Toes hit the end of my boots, big toes went numb, nails turned black. Tore the ligaments of my second toe. Had to increase my boot size by 1/2 and get custom orthotics to support my feet. The new boots I got also have a stiffer sole to reduce flex which takes stress off of your feet when packing heavy in steep, uneven terrain.

New boots and orthotics were $$$$ but I now walk and hike pain free. Do something before it gets worse.

I don't really have issues with my feet overall. I have great boots and for the crazy amount of hiking we did, especially with 100# loads on my back, there were zero blisters and after a few days, the soreness that was in my feet and ankles was gone. Nothing out of the ordinary from the amount of exertion that was put on them. The numb toe though however, isn't normal.

I don't really have issues with my feet overall. I have great boots and for the crazy amount of hiking we did, especially with 100# loads on my back, there were zero blisters and after a few days, the soreness that was in my feet and ankles was gone. Nothing out of the ordinary from the amount of exertion that was put on them. The numb toe though however, isn't normal.
My first symptom was toe numbness, and I had good boots. It's just a sign of an underlying issue - like you said, its not normal. Feet are so different, its just worth having them looked at.

Hard to hunt the way we all enjoy if something would happen to one or both feet. Definitely worth a visit to make sure everything's okay.

Go home and take two Tylenol put some CBD oil on it and Waite . In a couple days if still numb you should be good just going to have a numb toe. You won’t feel any pain because it’s numb👍
If you can’t find any other answers on the internet maybe as a last resort call a professional foot doctor.

On the trip we took to SE AK, some of the terrain combined with heavy loads led to me being in a lot of pain in a lot of areas - feet included. The outer side of both of my big toes were extremely sore and completely numb. It now has been over a month later and my left one is good but my right one still 100% has zero feeling on the entire outside of it. Anyone have this happen to them before? Can I expect the feeling to return over time? Do I need to do anything?
I missed this somehow, but I have the same thing after this recent AK elk trip. I had the same thing after an elk packout (53 miles in 3 days) a few years ago and my caribou packout last year (~35 miles in 36 hours). Situation is always the same, lots of miles carrying heavy loads with sweaty/damp feet.

The sensation has returned to that medial big toe area, for me, each of the other 2 times, but it took several months. My suspicion is some version of tropical immersion foot, but I am still not sure.

There could be boot fit issues, but I think it is moisture, heat, and lots and lots of steps putting high pressure on that area. I didn't get this doing marathon training several years ago despite high mileage runs, so I doubt its miles alone. I don't get it being sweaty in boots doing yard work in the summer, so it's probably not just moisture. A more ventilated boot has decreased the severity for me.

@seeth07 did you find anything out? I’m guessing you have turf toe. Pretty common strain on your toe ligaments. The bending action under a heavy load while climbing steep inclines would be perfect to cause turf toe. NFL players get it a lot, they can usually sit out a week or 2 and then play through it but it affects their productivity the rest of the season.

@seeth07 did you find anything out? I’m guessing you have turf toe. Pretty common strain on your toe ligaments. The bending action under a heavy load while climbing steep inclines would be perfect to cause turf toe. NFL players get it a lot, they can usually sit out a week or 2 and then play through it but it affects their productivity the rest of the season.
Sorry for not updating but yes, that is what the doc said it was. Not much can be done but resting it.

Looks like stiffer boots might help combat this from happening again?

I have pretty stiff boots (Kenetrek Hardscrabble). I can't imagine navigating some of that pretty extreme terrain in anything stiffer.

I really don't think this is turf toe. My non-podiatrist, non-orthopedic surgeon, but actual doctor opinion. It isn't the joint that hurts, it's soft tissue and it's very localized to the medial aspect of the big toe.

I really don't think this is turf toe. My non-podiatrist, non-orthopedic surgeon, but actual doctor opinion. It isn't the joint that hurts, it's soft tissue and it's very localized to the medial aspect of the big toe.
I just went to my typical doctor and not a podiatrist but my doctor did recommend that if it continued to not get better to visit one and she recommended a few. My wife thought the same as you that my doctor doesn't know what she was talking about but I guess I just didn't care enough to explore another opinion from an actual podiatrist.

There still is no improvement but from an injury when I was a teenager, I lost feeling in my middle finger for over a decade and even today its not 100% so maybe I'm just used to body parts feeling numb?

I get that related to my back..I have A variety other issues that go along with it. Lots of lower back stretching, daily, makes it tolerable. I was given a med for it, which helped, but I have heard of people getting mental from that med. So I weaned off and stretch.

I have no idea what your issue is, but one thing to ask a doc about if it doesn't go away is neuropathy.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back