Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Big Game Stories WANTED!

B

bcat

Hey guys lets get some good stories posted. THere is 161 members here and I know most of you have some good stories to tell whether it be an Alakan moose hunt, bear hunt elk hunt deer or whatever you would fell like sharing with us. I know there has to be some good writers out there, and who cares if yer not even good we want to hear the stories! Its gonna be a long winter without some!!! bcat

------------------
If you aint the lead dog the scenery never changes
bcatrunningcat.gif

Ok Bcat,

I'll guess I'll start the ball rolling. Back
in 84, I got drawn for Mtn Goat in Wa in the
Pratt River area by North Bend. I was totally
pumped, and shot a nice long haired billy on
the 3rd day. I was fortunate to have been drawn, but didn't think I would ever draw
again. As luck would have it, I got drawn
for the last time in 99. Its now a once in
a lifetime hunt after 99. I got drawn for the
Castle Mtn. area, which is 30 miles from my
house. I scouted it out all summer, and saw
many nice animals. The season started sep 15, but I waited till the first week in Oct
so the hair would be alittle nicer. My buddy
Jack and I Started at the trail head at 5am,
and climbed up to the Cascade Crest Trail at
daylight. It was foggy, and we made the hike
to the basin above Goat lake. Around 11am, we
jumped a herd of goats on a finger ridge, and
decided to wait on top because of thick fog.
Jack decided to take a short siesta. I was
wanting to look around, so I grabbed my rifle,and went for a nature hike. About a
hour later, in dense fog, I ran into a herd
of 30 goats feeding on a graasy bench. I dropped down on my belly, and watched them
for afew minutes. The wind was at my face, and they were unaware me. I was looking for
a nice billy. I finally found a pretty good
one. I slowly got up on 1 knee, and put my
270 up. The goats suddenly started moving slowly to the cliff line. The billy was about
100 yds, and I shot him in the front shoulder.He did a hiho silver, and ran off with the herd right off the cliff. We searched for blood, but only found afew drops.The cliff was too steep to go down, so we circled around, and found him a couple
of hours later a 1/2 mile down the slope. He
had both lungs blown out. By the ring counts, he was a 7-8 year old billy. We then
snapped afew pictures, and cut him up. Then
we packed him out 8 miles to the truck. We were back at the truck at9 pm. Made for a long day, but it was a hunt I'll never forget. Pictures will be posted when I figure
out how its done.

------------------
owl176x171.jpg

bcat; My doctor told me put the past bad memories behind me, as it would certainly bring on a relapse!hehehe
When I have more time( I type very S-- L--O--W--L--Y), I'll take a stab at it!-memtb

Thanks guys! And good to see ya Memtb!!!! Spotted owl if ya need some help with the pics, either I or Chambo will help ya! he is way better than I am (I have to have Debbie help me)HEHEHE Thanks for the story and that is one thing I would REALLY like to hunt is a goat!!! Been putting in for that all my life too and havent drawn yet!!! Great story! Memtb wouldnt your doctor let ya slide just once!!!!! looking forward to a story or three bud!!!! Glad ya came back!! bcat

------------------
bcatrunningcat.gif

Logoboy.jpeg

I have some stories, but they are rightly my uncles and dads from back in the 50's and 60's, does that make a difference.

Bluetic--Fire away!!! If you can remeber the stories, I am sure they are good ones!! We wanna hear them!bcat

------------------
bcatrunningcat.gif
Logoboy.jpg

I guess I already posted mine under Thumper's story about the water buffalo.

------------------
cros_anm.gif

Spotted Owl do ya want to enter this story in the contest?bcat

------------------
bcatrunningcat.gif
Logoboy.jpg

My moose story is in this section under wall hanger moose. This is a story about my best elk a 6x6 I shot a few years ago . I was hunting my favorite elk country here in Jackson. I had been hunting for four or five days and was not seeing any bulls to shoot at. I had seen a couple of bulls earlier in the week but they were to far of for my shooting ability and moving out fast. I decided to hunt farther in than usual only to find a camp full of hunters. The fellow who was showing these hunters around said they were his relatives. huh. So I hunted back towards camp. As I was working my way back I heard a bugle way off in the distance, and down in this deep dark timber canyon. It was late in the afternoon, and I was getting a little tuckered so I talked myself into not going down in the canyon after the bull. Next morning after an unsuccessful morning hunt in the same area, and only seeing a few cow elk, I was on my way back to a ridge to sit and watch, when from down in the canyon came a bugle. Getting late in the week I decided to give it a try so I started down in after the sound. Every 100 yards or so I would cow call and every time he would bugle back. This went on for a good 400 to 600 yards. As I was getting pretty close I could hear the growl in his bugle. I started returning only every other bugle with my cow call. As I moved into some very thick timber at the head of a finger canyon two doe mule deer were standing their looking at me. I sat down for probably 5 minutes while they move around nervously trying to figure me out. They finally moved off in the opposite direction I was trying to go. The bull was still going strong. I moved in another 50 yards farther when I saw the side of an elk moving through the timber. I froze and watched as a calf elk walked out in the open. As I was standing there watching this calf feeding along, and deciding what to do next, my bull stepped out of the timber and let out a screaming bugle at about 80 yards. Just as he finished his bugle I pulled the trigger on my 300 win. mag. and down he went. Cow and calf elk errupted from everwhere. Maybe 20 head tore off up the canyon, then quiet. He had called me all the way in.

Well this isn't rightly a big game story but you did say deer and some might find it intresting or instructional in case they take the notion:

TO ROPE A DEER

It was a lovely early fall morning when Calvin and I left the horse pen on some errand or the other. Time has dimmed the memory of just what it was. I was riding Bill, a big long legged black gelding and Calvin was on Lou, a good little mare but slow.
We were single footing across the pasture and for some reason I had a loop shook out when we busted a bunch of deer. I had always wanted to rope a deer and it came to me that there was no time like the present. I hollered and goosed Bill. Old Bill was kind of slow to start like most long legged horses but when he got started he could split the wind. The little six point split off from the does and that white tail waving seemed sort of a challenge. I cut after him. In about two hundred yards we where on him. When he discovered we were on him he quit that tail waving head up foolishness and went to running serious. Bill put me in position and I dabed a loop over his head and cut left. When the buck hit the end of the string it twanged like a G string and he cut a flip in the air. Hit the ground, bounced up and tried again. Same result.
Then he started up the rope. I have always been a tie down roper and there sure wasn't time to untie.
We started going the other way about as fast as we had come with me in the lead. I saw Calvin trying his best to come to us and I hollered at him to heel the durn deer. He hollered back that there wasn't no way he could get there in time.
I commenced to wonder what I was going to do with that durn deer now that I had him.
Up ahead there was a pretty good thicket and I headed for it. There ain't no soft spots in the brush so I just hit it square.
When we come out the other side I had lost my hat, one arm from my blue jean jumper and there was enough wood in the fork of my saddle to have barbecued that deer.
When he came out he was some the worse for wear being drug over and around the vines and saplings and down stuff. He was still game and kept coming.
We made two more trips through that thicket and when he came out the last time he was pretty docile. He was also missing his left horn. I was missing a few parts too. The thicket looked like a twister had held Sunday School there.
Calvin came on up as he had been circling the thicket trying to guess where we were going to come out at but guessing wrong each time.
He caught the back leg and we stretched the buck.
Now we had him and all we had to do was figure out how to turn him loose.
By using another rope we managed to turn him loose and he went one way and we the other all of us kind of glad to part company.
That is the story. If you ever take it in your head to rope a deer I'd advise you that the fun ain't worth the cost.
BCR

I posted a story in the Big Game forum titled "Nodak Hunter's Sheep Hunt" if anyone cares to read it. I got a bit long-winded, but it's the most thrilling hunt I've ever been on, and even though it happened over nine years ago, I remember it like it happened yesterday.

BCAT, You keeping track.....
smile.gif

Should we labble and cut and Paste them to compare them. They seem to be spread out....

Good Stories though!!!!!!

------------------
<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI> AKA Moose Hunter
<LI> www.huntandlodge.com

moose.gif

[/list]

Moosie they are spread out over different forums. I think we could come up with prizes for even different catagories. Like ELk, Deer, antelope, Sheep, Lion etc. Then take the winners and decide the winner over all!! What do you think? The ones that want to enter the contest need to tell somebody so we can get them all together. I am trying to keep track. It would be easier if they were all under the same topic no matter what kind of big game it was. bcat

------------------
bcatrunningcat.gif

Logoboy.jpg

http://www.huntandlodge.com/Boykin/outfitter.html
www.huntandlodge.com
www.recworld.com/boykin

Here's my moose hunting story...

Back in 1996 I booked a hunt in Newfoundland and on the first morning of the hunt the guide was driving us down a dirt road in his pickup next to a small pond when he jams on the brakes, looks my way and says, "Holy shit!" I jumped and rolled down my window and saw a huge bull with 2 cows about 80 yards off the road. The guide says, "Take him".

I slide out and take a few steps off the road and look thru my scope and all I saw was hair. The guide keeps whispering at a panic level, "Take him". By this time the bull had lowered his antlers and was rolling them back and forth and was slowly coming toward us. I told the guide I was waiting for a broad side shot and asked what his rush was. He said, "Because he's getting ready to charge, damn it!"

By this time the bull was about 35 yards away and closing. I squeezed off a 300 grain Nosler from my .375 H&H. I hit him a little high in the chest on his right side and he just jumped a little and then started coming straight toward me. I chambered another round and by this time he turned the corner at the end of the pond and I got him behind the left shoulder and he didn't even break stride!

By the time I chambered a 3rd round he was in the bush thrashing and moaning. The guide said to wait 2 minutes and then we'd go in and get him. I asked why 2 minutes and he said it took that long for them to bleed out from lung shouts. Well, 2 minutes later he looked at his watch and said, "Y'know, we've only been gone from the lodge 7 minutes."

Since he didn't carry a backup weapon I was point man. About a minute later when the guide was about 5 yards away he said, "Holy Jesus." I almost jumped out of my knee-high swamp boots. He said the moose was down and he was a big'un.

After we high-fived and took some photos we went back to the lodge for a ATV and a tape measure. This ol' bull measured 53 1/2" and had 26 points. Not bad for the first 7 minutes of the hunt. Lucky thing, too, because for the rest of the week I had an intestinal virus which kept me in bed for 5 days.

My brother-in-law said he shared my big bottle of Jack Daniels with all the guides and himself because he didn't think I was in any condition to drink and he didn't think I would mind.

That moose yielded 500# of de-boned meat and it took me and my wife 2 years to eat it. The outfitter estimated live weight about 1,200 lbs. When we field dressed him we learned the first shot took out his right lung and the 2nd round took out his left lung. No wonder it only took him 2 minutes to bleed out! He was running death but he didn't know it. Those animals can certainly absorb a lot of punishment.....but they do taste good.

bact will you enter my elk pic hunt, I wish I could do that and the I killed with my knife stories for me. Thank you olefish

Mine's a caribou story...

In April of '96 my hunting buddy and I had finally decided on an outfitter for our planned '97 season caribou hunt. We chose High North Outfitters out of Ft. Chimo, QUE. After 16 months of anticipation, planning, anticipation and more planning, the day before we were to leave for Montreal arrived! I was heading home from a sales call when I checked my voice mail. I had a call from the outfitter. When I called him back, he informed me that they hadn't seen an animal on over 4 days and that the prognosis for seeing more in the upcoming week was pretty bleak. Talk about being disappointed. We were given the option of still coming up or postponing a year. After much thought, we decided to postpone. Another year of excitement, planning, etc.

Finally, the day arrives! We're in caribou camp. We hunt hard for 5 days and never see an animal! That's hunting! As we're getting ready to board the float plane back to civilization, our outfitter offers to bring us back the following year, '99 at his cost. We spend the rest of the hunting season trying to decide. We finally accept his offer to come back in September of '99.

I flew in with another hunter with the first wave of gear. Immediately upon landing, our guide (the same one from the previous year) says grab your rifles and fishing rods, we're going out. Within 30 minutes, we see a nice bull at the end of a narrow bay about 800 yards away. We hit the beach running and end up stalking him for about a 1/2 mile. There were a couple of hummocks between us so our approach was relatively covered. My guide asked me how far I could shoot and I told him I'd like to get within 300 yards... we found a good spot where I could grab a rest and I got in the prone position and squeeeeezed the trigger. The 160gr. Nosler found it's mark and dropped him in his tracks! 275 paces... Years of anticiapation and patience paid off.

On that trip I also took an SCI book bull, a 20lb lake trout, a 10lb. laker on a fly rod, several 20" brook trout, char, and many willow ptarmigan!

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back