Big Game/Large Caliber lever action

Europe

Since I dont hunt any longer, many of my friends have decided I should still be good for something even if it is just research.

I am looking at lever actions in 348, 356, 358, 375, 405, 444, 450, 45/70. Manufacturers Henry, Winchester, Marlin, Cimarron, Browning, Savage. Chiappa and WWG. Some others like Big Horn Armory make good rifles, but doesn't quite fit what they are looking for.

The WWG co-pilot is nice but they are very proud of their rifles. Like the Chiappa Ridge Runner. Their so called brake is not really a brake and does not seem to increase noise but does decrease recoil--marginally and it can be removed easy.

Some of these mentioned are now only available on the used rack and they are getting expensive.

The take down would be nice but not mandatory. Moose, Bear, Close quarters ---what would buy and why------thanks guys and hunting wife and mtelkhuntress--

thank you

I asked this the other day of Panda Bear, What about the Savage 99 in .308 or whatever?
The 99 is a gun that I can't decide to love or hate. I don't own one. Sometimes I think I should.

Then there is the 95 Winchester. Reputed to be disproportionately hard recoiling, but can be fitted with some larger calibers as well.

In the end, 1895 square bolt Marlin for a repeater or make it any of a half dozen phenomenal singleshots in anything that starts with .45.

I always liked the 444. I think it may have the best ballistics of the group. That said, I would stick with your blr and broaden my ammo opptions. I'd put the .325 short mag against any of the big bores. I think it's also available in a takedown model.

Hard to beat the 45-70 and ammo is still easy to find. Especially since a lot of stated that didn't allow rifles for deer are starting to let some of the straight cartridges be legal.

vaspeedgoat, I am in agreement. I have been pushing the 326WSM as well and yes it does come in a takedown model. Although it is to be used for up close and personal hunting, the 325 will also give one more range--

Brent. We have owned a Savage 99, 250 Savage since, forever, but I have not used a Savage 358 or 375. I keep hoping some of the members can tell us things about some of these ( less than normal ones ) I believe I have already convinced them that the 375, 405. and 450 Marlin should be eliminated from consideration. They would all be fun rifles to own but the rifle in question will be used a lot.

Guys thank you so much

Europe, if it will be carried a lot, then weight matters and that puts more of the true 95 Marlins and 86 Winchesters out of the picture unless you mangle one of them into a carbine format and even then...

If the .375 is out, then the .38-55 must be out too, though I sort of like it. Not a whole lot that is going to fit the bill for biggish things that need to go down fast. The 1895 Winchester might be the ticket. I haven't actually shot one, but a .38-72 or, more reasonably, a .30-40K, or .30-06 would probably get the job done.

No .405, eh? I'm not a fan, but it would seem to be a reasonable possibility to me.

Here is my Marlin 1895 in .45-70, it’s accuracy has surprised me. The ammo is still fairly easy to find and there are loads available for white tail deer up to grizzly bears. I got mine brand new for $600 and am very pleased so far.

Brent--quick story about weight. I said the WWG co-pilot is only 6 1/2 pounds and the Marlin Trapper is approx 7 pounds. Then I said however the WWG starts at 3500 and the Trapper is up and down from a thousand. response-" the additional 1/2 pound is not problem " (-: The Trapper also has the large loop an peep sight which is preferred, so it is a strong contender. But I keep mentioning the 325 WSM LOL Who do you know that still hunts with the 405 ???? (-:

appreciate the inout guys

Last edited:
6.5# is very light for any large caliber.

I dont know any that hunts with a 405 since Teddy did, but the caliber would seem to fit the job.

All of your listed calibers, except the .45-70 are far too modern for me.

At 6.5# I'd be thinking 93 marlin in 32 wsp or any one of the .30 cal Savage 99s or 95 Win. Still might have to be a carbine, but cost would be in the $1k range I think.

Now your talking Brent. The 32 sp will always have a soft spot in my heart. There's a lot more to that caliber that a reloader can get. I like reloader 7 but I can't remember the grains without looking at my book.

I will third or fourth the .444 Marlin. Tough to buy one new right now since Remington makes them - I can only vouch for mine (JM stamped barrel) - and it shoots very well. Going used can be a mixed bag there - if there is a time crunch on the purchase ;) The round has good ballistics - and there are store bought options for ammo, if that is required.

The Browning's are nice, but the triggers are something less than desired. So I would make sure the end-user is happy with the trigger. I have always wanted a .358 in a Browning, just because...

As a fun whitetail gun I started with a Marlin 1894 in 44 mag.

Sent it WWG for a action job, big loop, cerakote, nicer recoil pad and happy trigger.

After extensive hand load work. It will shoot sub 2 inch groups at 100 yards all day long. Great brush gun/short range rifle and it’s a blast to shoot!

Not a large bore lever but...love the gun.

Got a 99 Savage in 300 Savage that is a sweet shooting gun and a extremely versatile cartridge, all be it a heavy rifle

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back