Big Coyote

HoofsUp

This was posted on another site. They said it was 115lb. coyote killed in Pa. Just wondering if anyone has seen it or has more information.
37251818.jpg

marmot_big.jpg

Have you seen the 112# rock chuck that Moosie shot?
biggrin.gif

I've heard of big coyotes being killed in Pa. The biggest that I am personally aware of weighed in at 60 pounds and was shot by a member of our forum.
wink.gif

Doug

This was posted on HuntingPA.com a while back. Here is the story that went with it:

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I took the photos of this canine where it was laying on the ground next to the 7-point buck. I can email you all 4 that I took of this animal and can assure you that they are not doctored in any way. They were taken with an Olympus 2040zoom digital camera and are full resolution of the camera.
I can give you a little more info on this canine. It was killed in Hallstead, PA which is between Scranton, PA and Binghamton, NY. The person who shot it was the brother in law of my Uncle who owns the property where it was shot. The brother in law killed it after someone else had shot it in the leg. It was 105-lbs. It was taken to a PA game commission check station and he was told it was a coyote. The officer said he had never seen one bigger and dismissed it as anything else. The brother in law then decided he would have it mounted. He took it to his home town which is near Pittsburgh, PA and a local sporting goods store said they would pay for the mounting if they could display it in there shop. He agreed. He then took it to the taxidermist and then learned a little more about it. The Taxidermist told him that it was in fact a Male Neutered Wolf.
My uncle has talked to someone who had heard that the NY State game commission had released 12 neutered male wolves to put a dent in the coyote population but that is second hand knowledge. It did not have any collar marks on it's neck but could be someone's pet that got loose at the wrong time. It did look as though it had lived outside most of it's life and having such a heavy winter coat.
I personally think it is some sort of cross breed and released into the wild. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have heard tails of big coyotes in PA and other N.E. states and have found most of them "after all is said and done" to be crosses. There is much debate over this topic and seems to be little fact to go with it.. However I do have first hand knowledge that several ""coyotes" have undergone DNA testing and the results have shown that Grey wolves and coyotes have crossbred and the DNA proves it.

This photo above is probably a good example of this happening.... or its a Texas Deer...LOL

sly

Good Point Danny... I've never been one to grasp this whole DNA thing... it's understanding to a point but then is above me. How can anyone be so sure? And the better question is, who can we really trust for the answers?

You got a friend in Pennsylvania Danny
wink.gif

Let's take this animal for example... the Game Commission noted it to be a coyote. One would take that as an official answer... now enter the taxidermist... nope, it's something else. Like I said, who in the heck do you take such an animal to to get the correct answers?? Does anybody really know for sure?

Oh well, I'll just lay em down and let someone else sort it out
biggrin.gif

DNA is like you say patato and I say potato
biggrin.gif
wink.gif

I would like to know what senerio put these two animalls together. Was it a camera?
This is what I would like to know.

God Bless,

SONG DOG

DNA testing would be able to tell if it was a wolf or dog. Even when closely related there are enough differences in specific segments of DNA that would allow the differentiation. If not, how would we be able to use DNA in criminal cases as proof? Heck, all the crimes would be placed on the same chimp!
biggrin.gif

Using genetic analysis I was able to tell apart clones of the same species of flower for a project in college.

1-pointer, DNA testing would tell if a Coyote, Bull dog or a Pomeranian had wolf DNA, is that right? If so that's all I was trying to say and that's the point I'm trying to make. Someone said a Coyote and a Wolf are two different species, Canis latrans and Canis lupus and can not interbreed. I don't believe that one nor do I believe half the stories I hear about coydogs. What I do believe is guys going around shooting wild dogs and calling them coydogs. Bottom line is, nobody knows what's going on with all these strange looking so called coyotes, would you agree to that one lol. Like I said before it's an interesting subject, Good Hunting.
wink.gif
smile.gif

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 02-06-2004 16:21: Message edited by: Danny Batastini ]</font>

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back