Biden vs Gun Owners

You will have a hard time proving that one.
LOL. Really?
You could be killed by someone on their cellphone today.
If you are not suicidal or involved in drugs and gangs, your chances of dying from someone intentionally killing you with gun are a rounding error away from 0. Its non existent.

I realize everyone needs something to be afraid of, but come on.someone drifting across the centerline is a legitimate possibility. Random acts of gun violence are extremely rare, especially in the communities most of us live in.

Gun violence is largely a drug and gang problem, and to a lesser degree an alcohol and domestic violence issue.

Last edited:
I’m like one generation removed from this and I’ve got one foot in the grave and the other on a banana peel with life right now and could end up right back there at any moment.
I’ve also worked around a lot of people like this for over 12 years and like you, it often makes me question what I believe.

the hard thing about debating with you and @VikingsGuy is that you guys have actual degrees and do this for a living.

Since you guys are listening tho, as a representative of the lsu community I don’t want any more gun laws.

happy Sunday.

Born into that as well. We lived in a trailer on the outskirts of Riverton, WY until I was 3. Dad made it out of poverty & provided well for us, because he lived in a society where a man working could raise a family & the mom could stay at home. Those economics are gone for a ton of Americans.

No degree, truth be told I'm a college drop out. :) Spent my summers running a rake & roller, roofing or doing cement work until I got out of college. Experience is my only PhD.

I don't want any more gun laws either. I want us to have a nation that works for it's people, and not it's corporations. Cheers & have a great Sunday Douglas.

Yes, I own several, no hand guns but plenty of long guns.

I have never, as a rule, feared for my physical safety. I understand some worry about their safety.
I with you on that , I feel much the same way . I have a couple handguns all given to me but I much rather hunt . All my hand guns are in the safe most all are keep sakes.

LOL. Really?
You could be killed by someone on their cellphone today.
If you are not suicidal or involved in drugs and gangs, your chances of dying from someone intentionally killing you with gun are a rounding error away from 0. Its non existent.

I realize everyone needs something to be afraid of, but come on.

How many more conditions to you want to skew the numbers?

Non existent?? you tell the parents of Sandyhook children murdered that one.

I’m like one generation removed from this and I’ve got one foot in the grave and the other on a banana peel with life right now and could end up right back there at any moment.
I’ve also worked around a lot of people like this for over 12 years and like you, it often makes me question what I believe.

the hard thing about debating with you and @VikingsGuy is that you guys have actual degrees and do this for a living.

Since you guys are listening tho, as a representative of the lsu community I don’t want any more gun laws.

happy Sunday.
Lots of us in this boat - I was brought home from the hospital to public housing. My parents worked hard and pushed my education, my kids have more opportunities now than I did then, but the love is all the same.

At the same time, I have a lot of empathy for kids of color growing up in poor urban areas today. There are a dozen or more moments in my teens and early twenties that I am sure would have gone very differently than they did if I was black. I have no doubt if I had been born the same in every way except my skin color, my dumb early year choices would have left me bagging groceries now (if not dead).

Random acts of gun violence are extremely rare, especially in the communities most of us live in.
It took me all of about two seconds to think of two people within my network of friends who have been murdered or have a family member who was murdered with a firearm.

After about sixty seconds more of reflection, I can think of:

A friend of my daughter, who was shot in a school shooting (she lived).
A neighbor who witnessed a school shooting (her sister was shot).

None of these were acts of gang violence or drug related. Two of them were related to domestic violence.

I wish it were more rare.

It took me all of about two seconds to think of two people within my network of friends who have been murdered or have a family member who was murdered with a firearm.

After about sixty seconds more of reflection, I can think of:

A friend of my daughter, who was shot in a school shooting (she lived).
A neighbor who witnessed a school shooting (her sister was shot).

None of these were acts of gang violence or drug related. Two of them were related to domestic violence.

I wish it were more rare.
Friends dad died in a hunting accident.

Friends who were at columbine, and made it out.

Aurora theater is down the street from our house, 3 blocks?

Aunt-in-law, suicide with a gun.

Family we know in my home town, 14 year old son murdered the father.

Shooting at a bar in Vail, had friends in the bar and on the SWAT team that went in...

Probably could come up with other friends and family who were directly affected by gun violence. None were drug or gang related.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am so tired of the gun debate. If you own a gun respect that gun. It's in our constitution that we can keep and bear arms. Just read my second sentence and Figure IT OUT

Unfortunate, anecdotal, examples of gun violence above.

It still defies logic to claim that any of us have a higher risk of gun violence than we do traffic accidents.

When I tell my wife, “be careful and text me when you get there” I’m thinking of traffic, not gun men at the gas station. Maybe I’m totally off base here?

Last edited:
I am so tired of the gun debate. If you own a gun respect that gun. It's in our constitution that we can keep and bear arms. Just read my second sentence and Figure IT OUT
Our constitution allows us to keep and bear arms subject to certain government regulations and restrictions. Just read Scalia's opinion in Heller and Figure IT OUT.

Unfortunate, anecdotal, examples of gun violence above.

It still defies logic to claim that any of us have a higher risk of gun violence than we do traffic accidents.

When I tell my wife, “be careful and text me when you get there” I’m thinking of traffic, not gun men at the gas station. Maybe I’m totally off base here?
Probably have very low/high rates of either in various communities around the country peaks and sinks.

Poor community where everyone uses public transit versus rural communities where lots of 15 and 16 year olds are driving 80.

Our constitution allows us to keep and bear arms subject to certain government regulations and restrictions. Just read Scalia's opinion in Heller and Figure IT OUT.
The
Our constitution gives the people right to keep and bear arms not to be infringed , Scalia opinion his translation !

The

Our constitution gives the people right to keep and bear arms not to be infringed , Scalia opinion his translation !
This is simply the WRONG answer. Not ANY right under the constitution has EVER been read that way by ANY Justice. We do NOT get to make up our own personal laws. The constitution and the laws only mean what the supreme court says they do. It has been that way since Marbury v. Madison in 1803. Reasonable people can disagree on many topics, but they do not get to make up their own legal interpretations. Until you get 5 members of SCOTUS to agree with you, this is not at all a meaningful response to the discussion.

I really can not believe that this thread has lasted as long as it has. Good to see that we can have decent discussion.

This Supreme Court ruling is brought up again and again to support the concept of one form or another of restrictive rights of the SCOTUS to regulate gun ownership. Here is a part of it:

(c) The Court’s interpretation is confirmed by analogous arms- bearing rights in state constitutions that preceded and immediately followed the Second Amendment. Pp. 28–30.
(d) The Second Amendment’s drafting history, while of dubious interpretive worth, reveals three state Second Amendment proposals that unequivocally referred to an individual right to bear arms. Pp. 30–32.
(e) Interpretation of the Second Amendment by scholars, courts and legislators, from immediately after its ratification through the late 19th century also supports the Court’s conclusion. Pp. 32–47.

As you read this, it starts with “the court’s interpretation”

One of the greatest powers a sitting president can do is appoint a Supreme Court Justice. We have seen this happen as long as the country has been founded and every Justice is screened by either side for the benefit or cost of that appointment to either side of the political spectrum.

To place any amount of faith in a Supreme Court ruling, that it is indeed, objective and unbiased is erroneous. Both sides benefit one way or another with many of these rulings as they pass through the Supreme Court of this land and yet personal bias is continually a component that steals some of the true purpose of this Court.

When you see how often this happens in lower courts, it is obvious that these justices are not as unbiased as we assumed they were.

An example of this how the 9th district court of appeals, makes arbitrary rulings on such controversial issues and hardly ever have to account for these decisions in regards to California’s ban on LCM (large capacity magazines) in a suit filed 14 August 2020, arguing the legality of LCM and using “Heller” as an example to restrict something as simple as a magazine:

“But the ruling in Heller was “not unlimited” and rejected the idea that citizens may “keep and carry any weapon whatsoever in any manner whatsoever and for whatever purpose.” Id. at 626. Heller thus recognized that certain exceptions to the Second Amendment apply. For example, weapons that are “dangerous and unusual” fall outside the Second Amendment’s protection.”

I don’t trust our SCOTUS and their rulings much more than I trust the tyrants our fore fathers put the second amendment into the Constitution to protect us from...

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaly24
Back