Better than a tag sandwich

Doodah Bach

The weather was beautiful (terrible for hunting). 70° sunny, blue bird days. I helped a brand new hunter bag his first deer....a nice 5x4 muley. Spent the next few days working my ass off to get anywhere near shooting distance to deer. Finally, this forkie made a mistake. He's no giant, but honestly, I still haven't found a good way to cook antlers. I know its cool to have that grip&grin with a big ole mossy critter, but a freezer full of forkie meat is good enough for me this year. I'll try and get the big boy next year!20201208_135608.jpg20201209_114139.jpg20201209_130742.jpg

Congrats man! I would love to shoot a muley period regardless of size! It has definitely been a warm season!

Congrats on the punched tag! I haven’t shot a buck in over ten years. Good handful of does in that time though. This year, my wife and I moved to WY and so we had to apply as non-residents for the state we’d be living in. Ended up getting 5 of the various doe tags between us. Filled three. Does make our freezers happy and when we get resident status here, we’ll be able to shoot bucks.

I feel your pain. I have never seen as many bucks as I have this year. Hard to watch a huge muley buck bedded at 80 yards with nothing but a whitetail doe tag in your pocket.

Last edited:
The weather was beautiful (terrible for hunting). 70° sunny, blue bird days. I helped a brand new hunter bag his first deer....a nice 5x4 muley. Spent the next few days working my ass off to get anywhere near shooting distance to deer. Finally, this forkie made a mistake. He's no giant, but honestly, I still haven't found a good way to cook antlers. I know its cool to have that grip&grin with a big ole mossy critter, but a freezer full of forkie meat is good enough for me this year. I'll try and get the big boy next year!View attachment 165637View attachment 165640View attachment 165635
Congrats! Any deer taken legally is a trophy!

Are mules always that lean or did you do a lot of carving? Got to get through an inch of fat on our MN whitetails. Congrats on the harvest.
That was the first thing I thought when I saw the skinned animal.

Did you scare it to death? I don't see a hole in it anywhere. Head shot I guess. Good job. That was one easy job of butchering. Wish they were all like that.

It’s all about the hunt and harvesting meat for me in my area in MN. Glad to have a shot at anything above a fawn.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back