Better HuntTalker than Elk Hunter

rmyoung1

I really shot the moon in the 2021 application game. I found out on April 20 that I drew a Colorado bighorn ram tag. On April 21 I discovered that I drew NM elk. Kind of a surreal week.

The CO ram tag devoured most of my time and all of my scouting dollars. I really didn’t have much of either left to do the elk tag justice. I needed help. Enter @hank4elk . Guys like this are what makes HT such a special place on the interwebs. I first reached out after drawing the tag, and this perfect stranger really rooted for me, allowed me to bounce my ignorant ideas off his more informed intellect, and even asked me to call him during my hunt. I did. He listened to what I’d been doing and said, “Well, that’s what I’d be doing if I were you.” That little vote of confidence gave me a confident boost.

The quick version is that I was able to navigate the public/private land boundaries and find the bull below in a compressed timeframe. I only had 3 days to hunt, and this bull provided an opportunity at the end of Day 2. My 69-year-old father was able to accompany me every step of the way. It was a fun weekend that we will remember and cherish. And Hank, your generosity with both your time and insight will not be forgotten. Thank you, sir.

I know HT gets a little surly at times. And I’m sure there are moments when @Big Fin and Mrs Fin feel like pulling the plug on this collection of pugnacious windbags. But… man… I’d be bummed if HT ever ended. It’s a good place because perfect strangers share their knowledge about hunting, conservation, and even a little something about their own backyards.

Thanks again, @hank4elk ! We enjoyed your slice of the world, a slice of pie, and oh yeah… the elk hunting too.

FD17E2F0-5D6E-4588-84B9-918AE3F4A0B7.jpeg2A315052-662A-414F-9095-1B841A36A500.jpegC73BB674-19C0-4356-B892-F1FB873A9217.jpeg85B3DD4A-205A-44EA-BE5C-4A5B8B31E6A6.jpeg
9BB3A591-4B87-4F59-A9C1-A84DB97EF6D5.jpeg

Great elk and beautiful rifle. What caliber? That sure is some beautiful scenery.
7mm Weatherby mag. My dad bought it back in the early 80s. Gave it to me when I shot my first bull elk with it in 1991. I had it refinished a few years back. I have other rifles in my safe now. It’s still my favorite. And yes… wide open spaces with unfathomable sunsets make NM a special place to hunt.

Congratulations on both the elk and your ram. My favorite part of both hunts is being able to share them both with your dad!
It was a God-given blessing that I’m sure will mean even more to me as the years pass.

"Fair winds & following seas" was this windbags advice....use the wind & go with the flow. Lot's of elk in this area and there had to be some bulls in there. This one zigged to the zagg.
The pics say it all. Cool!

That strawberry rubarb peach pie was a good choice too.

Last edited:
"Fair winds & following seas" was this windbags advice....use the wind & go with the flow. Lot's of elk in this area and there had to be some bulls in there. This one zigged to the zagg.
The pics say it all. Cool!
Thanks again @hank4elk ! You’re the man!

Congrats to you! And props on the acknowledgement of the connection of HT! I myself have been blessed by HT unbelievably! Good peeps here!

Back