Caribou Gear Tarp

Best WY State Atlas ?

Trigger50

Going to buy a WY Atlas to help plan my elk hunt. Which one is the best for hunters ? Delorme? Benchmark ? Are the any other good state wide paper atlas books ? My local stores don't carry WY maps so I have to order them online & cant see them beforehand. Thanks

You'll have to narrow it down a bit more then the whole state if you want any amount of detail. By far the best maps I've ever used are the Trails Illustrated maps. National Geographic bought them out a few years back so now they are under both names.

Get a Gazetteer. Then narrow it down from there to local maps and topos. mtmuley

paper maps

After you narrow it down to a unit, check out the paper maps of Wyoming from "Hunting GPS Maps". I just got mine and it is really nice. I like being able to see it all on paper instead of on a 2-3" GPS screen.

+1 on benchmark. I've traded all my red books for black ones. I hate that the roads seem to disappear on the red ones. I use the benchmark for starting, the blm maps on get closer, then my gps to get close enough to piss off the landowners : ).

Thanks for the tips. Yes its definitely just a starting point for mapping. I will take your tips on Benchmark vs Delormes. In the midwest, there is an atlas book called Sportsmans Connection that is great. It was designed by hunters. It even marks private land that is open to public use through the Forest Tax Law program.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back