Best tire option in snow for a 2wd

Bigjay73

I have a 2wd ram 1500. Haven't gotten stuck, but getting up places like Berthoud pass in the winter can be quite puckering at times. Im not getting a new truck anytime soon, so upgrading to a 4wd is off the table. Would you get good AT tires like a KO2, studded tires, or just carry chains and use them as needed?

Sounds like $$ is top of the issue list so just buy chains as they will be much cheaper than a set of tires and will get you much further than any set of tires you buy in the snow / ice. A cheaper way is always have a buddy tag along. I have been stuck more times than i can count and a 2wd in snow does not sound like fun. Stay safe.

Ya, I drove rwd V8 patrol cars for a couple of decades. Chains were something we had to use rarely. A couple of hundred pounds of sandbags in the trunk helped a LOT. Sandbags! Not a suspect! ;)

And when we went to high quality snow tires.. Wow! Those Crown Vicky patrol cars did surprisingly well in the snow.

Guy

Snow tires for CO. I’ve never driven a 4wd and I’ve never had any problems.

I’ve never used chains, I ran studded for a while, was living in Silverthorne and working in Lakewood. Lots of of road noise but nice on icy roads. 🤷‍♂️

To your point in #3 as long as you’re not a d-a$$ it’s really not a big deal.

I’ve noticed a marked difference between snows and AT.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back