Best rifle for under $2000

My resume of rifle expertise could be printed on the back of a matchbook. But I've managed to own a few and even put a few tags on animals over the years. I can share my experience from this fall. I did an extended trip to Montana where my boys live. Thompson Center sent me one of their new TC Compass rifles to use and photograph as I had done some photo work for them in the past. The Compass is a $350 rifle. They also sent me a very nice Nikon Monarch 3 4-16x42 with the custom XR turret. About a $500 piece of glass. The rifle (300 Win Mag) was surprisingly good. The scope was excellent and that made all the difference. Broke in the rifle correctly and took it hunting. My boys each had antelope tags. A bit over gunned for that game, but you can't kill 'em too dead. They each connected and made one-shot kills in the 250 yard range.

The wife of a good friend had a Montana sheep tag. After having the rings lapped by a gunsmith, the scope re-mounted and a lot of testing and shooting (yeah, he's pretty fussy about his rifles), they agreed to use the rifle for the sheep hunt. That was a big endorsement of the rifle since sheep tags are a bit scarce. But they were confident. She is an experienced hunter and shooter, and she made a one-shot kill on a beautiful ram at about 200 yards. The rifle/scope combo was 3 for 3.

The fourth kill for the rifle was mine. Of course, I missed clean with my first shot. I know, I know. It clearly wasn't the rifle's fault! But I pulled it together and managed a clean kill on a whitetail buck at about 250 yards. BTW, all were with Federal Premium 180gr Trophy Bonded Tip.

Four people used that $350 rifle with great effect. Sure, custom rifles will no doubt shoot tighter groups. And long range shooting is a more complex debate. But, for the average guy (of course nobody on HT is average), the rifle was flawless when fitted with top quality optics. I have to be honest, I was a bit humbled by that budget rifle since I have a very nice, much more expensive rifle for my main gun and the Compass was not lacking in accuracy by comparison.

I'm not saying you should run out and buy any particular brand. There is no true consensus on this forum which brand is superior. But the truth is the most guys can't out shoot their rifles no matter what they say. In my experience, if you want to achieve performance from a rifle, then you should buy the absolute best glass you can afford and send high quality bullets down range. Fuzzy don't shoot. Focus kills.

Oh, and what's the deal with all these caliber conversations? '06 and be there.

Take a look at Legendary Arms Works professional. That is what I choose for just under 1600. Couldn't be happier.

http://hbrifles.com/hunting-rifles

Where I would be going if I weren't burried in fuel,lodging,preference points and licenses. Bear in mind you will need more like $6,000. I've fiddled with most of the factory offerings and a few semi custom builds. Two of the most accurate rifles I have owned were bone stock,out of the box factory rigs. Both were 7 Rem mags. One Tikka T3, one M700 BDL. Both wore VXII Leupold 4-12X AO scopes. Well under $2,000 each field ready. So,where does it end? I'd like to have a $5,500 Hillbilly. It won't guarantee I draw the tag I want. Or get a shot once I get there. Still want one though. $5,000 buys a bunch of fuel and licenses. Priorities. Make sure you get what YOU want. Time spent with a rifle you really enjoy is always a good thing. It doesn't have to cost two grand,or it can cost three times that much. Shopping for a new rig is one of the best ways to spend your free time. Enjoy!

Hey guys newbie here I have never hunted with or shot a rifle much but I would like to start next season. I've been looking for a couple of months and like the Howa Randy carries as well as the Tikka T3.

If you could only buy one what would you buy for under $2K??

Thanks for the feedback

Experience the 54 degree bolt throw on the Weatherby Mark V in any of the various models and then compare the Mark V with any and all other rifles on the market. Consider the benefits of gas ports, 9 locking lugs, consistent accuracy and the knock down power of the Weatherby Magnum calibers as well as the other features the Mark V offers and I'm sure you'll become a diehard Weatherby fan for life. The Weatherby Mark V rules.

For that kind of money you can pick up an older Browning Safari grade mauser in mint condition and put good glass on it. They are some of the finest commercial rifles ever built. I have one in 30-06 that is an amazing shooter. Those rifles were either built on a FN mauser action or a Sako action for short action rifles. Either are great choices. You should be able to find a 30-06, 308, or 270 that would be a great all purpose rifle for North America. If taken care of these rifles are an excellent investment too.

BRNG.png

I'm very content with my $650 Tikka 7MM Mag topped with a Zeiss scope (also $650). Leaves me a little to get that list of accessories.

I would encourage you to take a look at backcountry hunters and anglers lifetime members packages. You can get a Kimber for $2500 but write it off on your taxes as a donation. This helps you to get a great rifle in many good calibers while also supporting a good cause (and justify the cost to your wife-if you're married). Its a stretch of your money but it would make a big difference for the organization. Full disclosure: I became a life member in 2016 and bought my first rifle at the same time-could not be happier with my kimber 308

The best shooter I know once said, "you can spend $2500 on a rifle that will kill a deer at 300 yards; and you can spend $500 on a rifle that will kill a deer at 300 yards."

That said, I vote either for a Remington SPS or a Tikka in either .308 or 30-06. I favor the .308 a little. Very good round in terms of "inherent accuracy". Plus it's darn powerful rifle that doesn't beat the hell out of you on the firing line.

Spend $400 on a Ruger American Rifle in any of the above calibers, spend $200-300 on a vortex or Leupold scope, and you still have enough to buy one/maybe two Non Resident elk tags. Go Hunting!

Not being a total gun nut guy or collector anymore,I still have my Rem 700 ADL 30-06 24" brl I bought slightly used for $500 in 1983. It has been restocked after cracking the original beautiful walnut one in a bad fall hunting in the Sierras'. I switched it to BDL with the Hogue stock change & added a Timney trigger. The original 2x Leupold still worked with a dent,but went to 3x9x40 vari Leupold. 4yrs ago I put Talley bases & a Zeiss Conquest on it & took a cow @ 405yrds that year.My longest game kill. I might have $1500 total in it and it has always shot 1/2" MOA,always. Always just felt good holding & shooting it.
I have had 8mm & 7mm Mausers ,both fine shooters,but too heavy for hunting. Sold them.
Love 308's & always have. But I like 30-06 for game over all.Just me.

Always wanted a Weatherby 30-06 as I lived where they were made once and always liked the way they felt & shot.
That said I personally would get another old Rem 700 & rebuild it,a Weatherby and get that out of my system,or a Sako,Tikka,Howa/Vanguard, in that order.I have shot them all & then some. And all of these guns just come up & felt right in the hands.They were also all 1/2" MOA when they were in my hands.

After BF told me to check the new lighter Howa deals & weight I almost got one last year,but funds got sidetracked. I shot one last week. An -06.
So a lighter, shorter (22") 30-06 Howa is back on the top of my list. For a back up scoped-06 less than $2k. Way less.

Last edited:
Weatherby Ultralight in 6.5x300. You'll need to call them and ask them to send you an ultralight, I believe. It could shoot around the world, but the curvature of the earth is too much. It's so flat,it'll just launch into never never land.

Going back to the OP's original question, I would like to try a Cooper. Of those I have tried and have owned, my answer for years was, and may still be, a Kimber Montana. I say "may still be" because I recently bought a Howa Alpine Mountain Rifle in 7/08 that has stolen my heart. It is light weight, very well made and, is a tac-driver right out of the chute. I can't say enough good things about my sample of this rifle. My budget choice would be a Tikka T3.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back