MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Best rewards credit card for hunters?

I once failed to pay on time and had to pay with interest, it was terrible. Therefore, it's better to pay on time, so that you don't overpay later

Zero - as I pay off every month before interest accrues.
I don't know why it's so hard to understand. Credit cards are a great tool when used properly.

Treat them like a debit card and you will earn back 1000s of dollars over your lifetime.

Also certain ones like Best Buy's rewards or the Scheels Visa have 18 month and 6 month no interest financing all the time. I was fortunate to have my Best Buy card when we replaced our appliances after my dishwasher and fridge all died in the span of 2 months. Paying $80 a month to help get me out of a jam vs putting it all on a high-interest card or taking a loan.

Also to be clear I don't condone financing things all the time but in that particular time we had exhausted our emergency fund after our AC went out last summer as well as an expensive Vet bill.

Capital One Venture card for me. Using the rewards for airfare for hunting travel has made out of state trips much more affordable.

Does your credit take a hit if you cancel cards? Thinking about getting the DU card and dumping Cabelas. Would you close the cabelas?

Does your credit take a hit if you cancel cards? Thinking about getting the DU card and dumping Cabelas. Would you close the cabelas?
It could, depends on your overall debt to credit ratio, ie if you have several cards and or sources of credit it won’t effect it much. If it’s your only card then yes it will.

I use Alaska Airlines. It's been great for facilitating my Alaska hunts using miles and also for taking the family on vacations. I build homes every 2 years and try to use my card as much as possible in the process. I max it out then immediately pay it off with the construction loan proceeds. I'm sitting on about 300,000 miles currently. Alaska flies right out of Bozeman and easily up and down the west coast. Maybe I'm stupid but it sure seems like an easy way to fly to my hunts for less than $100 a year card 🤷‍♂️ Most flight round trip are 40,000 points but currently I could fly north for 25k

We use ours and pay off weekly to avoid interest. We cycle between Southwest Airlines and Hilton Honors amex. Between the two, we always have flights and hotel anywhere. The bonus is I get to use my personal card for work travel and expenses which helps alot. I find the money we save on airfare and hotels makes up for other expenses. Having a Triple A membership also comes with a ton of discounts and has helped me out of a few jams in the back country desert. ;-)

We do all the same things as mentioned previously, closest thing to free money there is if you’re diligent with the payoffs. We also pay all of our auto-theft accounts (car insurance, homeowners insurance, utilities, cell phone, cable, internet, etc.) with our double rewards card and then pay it off when it posts to it. Racks up the the points on things you have to routinely pay for every month anyhow 👍🏻

I have had the Cabela's black card for several years now - It used to be awesome - But as mentioned, it has really gone downhill. following this thread to see what I should change out too.

I have a United card for business, and that has also been a good deal

Cash gives the best rewards. No one got rich off credit card points or rewards.
The math is simple - if you pay off every month the incremental value is 1-2% of your spending. With cash it is 0%.

If you are buying things you can't pay for they are a horrible value - better to get a home equity line or person line of credit at much better rates.

As for cash vs credit more broadly, smartly used "leverage" (i.e., credit) is exactly how people get rich. A zero debt company is a poorly run company, as debt is cheaper than equity in most cases.

The math is simple - if you pay off every month the incremental value is 1-2% of your spending. With cash it is 0%.

If you are buying things you can't pay for they are a horrible value - better to get a home equity line or person line of credit at much better rates.

As for cash vs credit more broadly, smartly used "leverage" (i.e., credit) is exactly how people get rich. A zero debt company is a poorly run company, as debt is cheaper than equity in most cases.

i agree in general that a properly used credit card isn't a bad thing

but i've heard that studies show credit cards cause people to spend more than they would have otherwise, even if you're not accruing interest. i.e. spend more than the 1-2% you gain on cashback, for example

i don't like my credit card. i've never paid interest on it. even if your goal is to treat it like a debit card, it still creates a disconnect from your bank account where the psychologically of using it doesn't feel like a loss of money, immediately at least

i think no matter who you are, even if you never pay interest on a credit card, it will have a tendency to cause you to spend more money over time than if you didn't have a credit card. especially more money spent than you get in rewards. THEN you build all these hotel or airline points and you spend a bunch more money on a trip that otherwise you wouldn't have gone on... more money down the drain

i generally look at credit cards as a gateway to lose money, no matter what

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jahmes143
Back