Alaska airlines Mileage Credit card

I just converted my AK Air CC to a non-fee card (they have several options) because I haven't flown in 3 years.
I also dropped out due to the annual $95 fee to a non-fee card.
I have so much mileage I will not use in my lifetime, that the companion fare is not that great for my travel.
Plus as an Alaskan resident, the Club 49 allows 2 free checked bags.

I hunt Alaska as often as I can. I find the points and card worth while. The companion fare is fantastic especially if you’re traveling with someone who isn’t a card member. Priority boarding and extra points on all purchases. Coming back with meat and racks the fees add up quickly and the 3x points are nice perk for the next flight. I generally use the card to build up enough point for my next flights then in shelve it in favor of something else.

I got the card when I decided I was going moose hunting in alaska a few years ago. I flew roundtrip for $11.20. Just booked a flight for the upcoming season and I had enough points to do first class rountrip for the same amount. If you only go to alaska every couple years you can count on a free RT ticket so the fees are worth it to me.

Last edited:
I recently looked "just for fun" at flights to Alaska using my points. WOW!! They sure did jump! I can only get a one-way ticket now where I could have done round trip before. Maybe that's why the sign-up bonus keeps getting higher. More enticement to sign up. Now that I can't go back again I guess it just doesn't matter. I still think anyone who flies fairly frequently can take advantage of the card. Buy stuff, get points. Fly, get points. Use Mileage Plan shopping to buy stuff, get points. Use points for free flights. Repeat.

Bumping this...currently in SeaTac wandering the concourse with the commoners because SeaTac Alaska Lounge locations no longer allow day use passes in the lounge. That was a perk I enjoyed while traveling and now they want $500/year for access if you're not a first class flyer. This trip cost me 25k for a one-way. I believe with the fee bump and bump in millage I'm done. I don't go to Alaska often enough and I don't have a traveling companion so this thing is really not worth it to me anymore.

Really disappointed how much the miles went up to travel. However, being on the Westcoast it's still a card I'll continue using. Use companion fare to Hawaii and cash in the miles going to Alaska.

Back