Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Best Pack for Day Hunts Plus Haul Meat

I picked up the Cabelas Instinct 40L pack. I like it, but it's also my 1st heavy duty pack. I will admit I haven't hunted with it, but I've been hiking with it around Arizona and other than a slight squeaking with heavier loads (30lbs +), down around 25-30lb loads I don't hear it. But, when it comes to storage, I like how there is one main top load bag, then 2 smaller pouches, and a separate pouch below for the meat bag that it comes with. I will say that the 1st thing I did was get rid of the meat bag it comes with and I now use it for carrying hunting clothes to the truck. I instead use that space (and there's actually a bit of it) to house my "possibles", like my "Oh $#!% kit, my big roll of TP ( I keep a smaller roll in the lid of the pack for easier emergency access) and my food stuffs (a bag of Mt. House, coffee, snacks and cooking kit).

All in all I think it's a good pack, but I so far have not put it to the real test of loading a buck into it yet plus my other gear, that will hopefully come in January

Mystery Ranch Cabinet would probably be high up on the list. The 1800 and 3000 sized Kuiu Icon and ultra packs definitely fit the day pack plus load cell role as well. The Stone Glacier Approach/Avail 2200 would be very good. The EXO 2000 or even 3500 are great options. Kifaru has quite a few 1800-3000 cubic inch bags that work with a load cell.

I bought a Kifaru AMR for day hunts and packing meat. I couldn't be happier with this setup. It carries 100 lbs as comfortable as 100 lbs can be.

I’ve been using the Stone Glacier Approach for past 4 years and hauled out 6 elk with it. I absolutely love it for hunting and hauling. It still looks as good as the day I received it.

I'm on m first season with a Seek Outside daypack on their frame. It is a little tight on capacity, but a shrewd design. Bring benjamins, though.

Exo mountain gear. Pick whatever size you want but my 5500 does everything from day hunts to 10 day'ers. It compresses down so small that I couldn't justify adding a smaller bag as well.

And its a meat hauling machine.

Kuiu icon pro 1850 is what I went with. Hopefully I’ll get to really test it out in two weeks, but so far I’m very impressed with the quality and functionality of the pack.

Three of the five Mystery Ranch Metcalfs that were all being employed as day packs on this trip, all of which then got converted to meat hauling duty when the bull hit the ground.

Tyler_Johnerson_NM_Elk-41.jpg

Mystery Ranch Pintler -- unique three zip design, hauls just what you need for a long day hunt, and with the Overload Shelf, you can haul whatever you need once an animal is down. A great pack for any kind of hunting really.

I've been using Exo Mtn 3500 for 3 seasons now for day trips to about 5 days (any more than that and you run out of room real fast). I just carried an entire deer (bones and meat) in one trip comfortably 1.5 miles. If you are of average size their packs will fit nicely...if you're a bit thicker some of the strap placement isn't ideal though they may have resolved that with their new version.

Last edited:
Outdoormans... Not the lightest but will do anything you ask of it!

I have the badlands 2200. Not sure what improvements they may or may not have made between your model and the one I picked up last year but I found that pack to be outstanding. I packed out two deer and an elk. Even had a front and rear quarter from the elk on it at one time and it held everything perfectly. Felt way more comfortable than most of my ruck sacks from the Army.

I use a kuiu ikon pro 1850 myself,seems to do good,,and for a 3lb pack,was amazed that it actually could handle a 100 lb elk qtr to boot.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back