Best Pack for Day Hunts Plus Haul Meat

No mention of Eberlestock packs here, interesting. I own a J107 Dragonfly and i love this backpack. Just put it to use hauling a big Muley 3.5 miles to the truck. The pack can handle way more meat than I could pack, and runs about 12 pounds loaded for a days hunt. Nice organization to the pack also, tall vertical compartments, and the pack can be expanded using zip in add on compartments.
A really nice pack.

No mention of Eberlestock packs here, interesting. I own a J107 Dragonfly and i love this backpack. Just put it to use hauling a big Muley 3.5 miles to the truck. The pack can handle way more meat than I could pack, and runs about 12 pounds loaded for a days hunt. Nice organization to the pack also, tall vertical compartments, and the pack can be expanded using zip in add on compartments.
A really nice pack.

Never used an Eberlestock, but they lack a meat shelf and are smaller and almost twice the weight of a SG, Kifaru, or Mystery Ranch... would not be something I would recommend on those factors alone, I'm sure they work great it's just that 9.5lb empty is really heavy for a pack.

I'm not sure what your budget is but, if it's in the cards, you'd be doing yourself a favor to check out Stone Glacier packs and give your son the 2200. Why carry a heavy pack when I lighter one will do everything just as well.

I used a eberly stock x-2 once and threw it away after the first hike,,sqeaked like a elk call! what a p o s.soured me on eberlystock for life,sorry

I also had an X2. Worst thing I ever strapped onto my back. It was awful in so many ways. I know some guys love them but man did I hate that thing!! Just awful. It also soured me on Everlestock.

I’ve been using eberlestock. Blue widow, dragonfly, and mainframe.. they are very durable and HEAVY. I’m currently trying to find a good lightweight replacement. The mainframe is nice but other frames are lighter. I’d like to try out expo mountain packs but am unsure of getting a pack without a shelf.

I just left this review on Exo Mountain Gears site. There are quite a few reviews that list this pack as one of the top packs out there.

"I just wanted to let everyone know how well my pack worked this year on my 2017 Montana Elk Hunt. I put on 6-10 miles daily on day hunts and this pack was perfect. If I was going to do an overnight I would buy the 3500 or 5500. I had to pack out my elk down a steep hill side then about a mile to the truck. On my final heaviest load, I had a hind quarter, skull, and the horns of a 4x5 bull. It was as much as I wanted to carry but the pack worked flawlessly. Afterwards, when we got back to the campground,I was able to pull out the frame and throw the pack in the washing machine and it came out just like new. I cannot recommend this pack enough for day hunts. Plus all of the customer support is outstanding. Steve, I sincerely wanted to say thank you for helping me with such a great pack."

the eberlestock dragonfly and blue widow ive used are a touch heavy. but they are tough as hell and can pack more than any man can carry. speaking of which i have a newer dragonfly for sale. pm me if interested. by the way mine have never squeaked.

I had an eberlestock Just One pack for a while and liked it. I would say that I didn't like the suspension system as it felt a little lite-duty and thin. I did like that I could use it for a weekend backpacking hunt or a day trip.

I sold it and bought Kuiu Icon Pro 3200 with the suspension. It feels so much lighter and the suspension is extremely comfortable. I would like to get the Icon 1850 for day trips though...the 3200 is fine but less is more for these legs.

ive used exo 3500 for 3 years. I feel they stand up or exceed MR and SG AND you get Great Customer Service. Steve goes beyond what is required of a business owner.

I also had an X2. Worst thing I ever strapped onto my back. It was awful in so many ways. I know some guys love them but man did I hate that thing!! Just awful. It also soured me on Everlestock.

I agree. It's a tough pack, but the lack of frame height even for my short torso put all the weight right on my shoulders... not comfortable at all! Couple that with the frame digging into my hips at an awkward angle and the constant squeak once things get dusty... there are better packs on the market.

After suffering under an Eberlestock myself I switched to a SJK rail hauler. I think eberlestock is a well made pack for the price, but it's way too heavy and the ergonomics are not suited for heavy hauling whatsoever. My just one self destructed on me a couple years ago with what I'd estimate a 100 lb. load in it. I was tying straps together at the end after all the buckles snapped. Anyways I found the rail hauler at sierra trading post on closeout and was impressed by the simplistic yet bomber frame and lightweight when i took the day pack off and replaced it with an OR dry sack. I've never used one of the "high end" packs, and i'm sure they're great, but for $140 for two packs and a very versatile hauler I couldn't be happier. The dry sack is completely waterproof and can be hung in a tree easily for a water tight and scent minimized package. Which is a good thing in bear country. It comes with a cheesy rifle holder on the back that can be moved over to the side and make a very effective kifaru style gun slinger thing. You can easily attach more stuff sacks to the frame for overnights or get rid of everything all together for a pure meat mover. It's hard to beat the weight and reliability of a good ol external framed pack. my 2 cents

I have an Eberlestock F1 Mainframe with two batwings and a zip-in panel. I can carry all my gear and anything else that I am capable of packing out. I have installed a bird bag and a pouch for a water bladder in the pack it is all I need for my hunting needs. I've used it for an elk hunt earlier this month and it will be my day-pack for a deer hunt this coming weekend. Also, I use it with a Kifaru Gun Bearer and it carries everything I need. A real plus is that I can distribute the weight of gear in this pack better than any other pack I own. I have several packs and, this is the one I will use the most. I've loaded it to 60+ pounds, which is about the max I can comfortably carry and it handled the weight pretty well. At 40 to 50 pounds it is as comfortable as any pack I own. For comparison, I have an Eberlestock J34 and a Kifaru Longhunter. Both great packs.

ive used exo 3500 for 3 years. I feel they stand up or exceed MR and SG AND you get Great Customer Service. Steve goes beyond what is required of a business owner.
I'm curious in what ways it matches or exceeds MR and SG. I have put MR and SG packs through the ringer, but have not owned an Exo, so would be glad for the info. Thanks

We used the x-2 and they were great, However there is a mystery ranch Pintler on my back now. So x-3 on the pintler.

I had the "just one" pack and it just never felt right, sold after 2 seasons. Picked up the Mainframe F1 and really like it alot. Has a shelf, hauls great. They have a few diff packs that will mate up with it. I was just using their drybag for the first year and worked well but was noisy when branches scraped it. Running the little big top bag this year on the F1 and am very happy with the set up.

Every body is a little different, whats perfect for someone else could send you to physical therapy after half a day in the field. The F1 frame fits me perfectly.

Ran an Outdoorsmans this year. Agree will do what you need. Never could get it to fit, but I’m a hard fit 6’5”, 195. Looking to move this pack. Less than 6 months. Like new. Send me a PM, happy to make a deal it’s a sunk cost to me at this point (CPA).

Mystery Ranch Metcalf, can't beat it. It'll be the last pack you buy. And can probably still pass it on to your kids.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back