Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Best Muzzleloader (Colorado) for Elk!!!

I have a TC Omega and a CVA Accura V2. The CVA accura V2 is a much nicer gun and when I scoped it to develop a load I was shooting clover leaf patterns at 100 yards. I was using Blackhorn and the new powerbelts with the coating on them. I sell bullets pretty darn cheap.
http://predatoroptics.info/catalog/product.asp?ret_id=1185759&pid=82250
http://predatoroptics.info/catalog/product.asp?pid=82247&ret_id=1185759
http://predatoroptics.info/catalog/product.asp?pid=89090&ret_id=1185759
My biggest advice to to make sure to spend extra for stainless..... YES!

Last edited:
Anyone have an opinion accessories, specifically speed loaders for the field? I just read the regulations that pointed out that you can't use pellets. But I also read some articles saying that loose powder is more accurate anyway. Thanks for all the great replies everyone!

You'll need a powder measurer. Traditions makes an accessory kit that includes a couple of speed loaders and a capper and a short starter. You'll need bullets, I use powerbelts and they keep me legal in Colorado and they shoot well out of both of my rifles. Get a nipple pick too, they come in handy clearing out the fouling from the breech hole after a few shots. All of this stuff can be found at Bass Pro shop, or any outdoor retailer. I also like Hogden's Triple 7 powder.

I shoot an CVA Accura.

I got some small plastic tubes with screw tops off the intenet. One tube has 110 gr BH 209, the other a "Barns 250 gr "T-EZ", and two, 209 primers (in case I drop one)

I bring a dozen of these on a hunt, and carry 5 or 6 in the field. It makes for a very fast, almost idiot proof reload.

The Barns 250 "T-EZ" after double lunging a bull. It piled up against the off side shoulder blade.

I know the scope is not Colorado legal, but when I draw A Co. tag I will pull it and mount a blade and peep.
I could not be happier with my Accura. Light weight, accurate and reliable.
I was skeptical about a break action being accurate, but this thing shoots tight groups at 200 yards.

Cushman, what kind of sights are you using? My muzzleloader shoots great but I really don't like the fact that at range most of the animal is completely covered up when I aim.

Cushman, what kind of sights are you using? My muzzleloader shoots great but I really don't like the fact that at range most of the animal is completely covered up when I aim.

Get a peep sight....

https://www.amazon.com/TRUGLO-Muzzle-Brite-Xtreme-Ghost-Universal/dp/B001FSZTG6

This gives you the option of a regular sight with windage and elevation adjustments, or the ring that I use. I like the ring because it gives you something to focus on and in. The ring greatly improved my grouping.

EDIT: The ring may not be legal in CO. I'm waiting for a call back from the main office to be sure. Thanks justdada for bringing this to light.

Last edited:
Straight from the Regulations:
"only open or iron sights allowed in muzzleloading season"
I've asked a hunter ed instructor and he said peep sights are NOT open sight and not legal in Colorado... might want to call parks and wildlife to avoid problems in the field.

Really? I was chatting with a game warden one day and he saw my rifle and sights and didn't say anything. I'll call the main number and see what they say or if they even enforce it. Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

EDIT: I called the main office and spoke to a really nice gentleman. He looked up the sight online and said they may be legal because there is no magnification in the ring. He is contacting the lead enforcement officer to find out to be absolutely sure. I should get a call back tomorrow. Thank you justdada!

Last edited:
I've hunted numerous times in CO with a peep sight, always thought they were considered "iron sights".

I use a T/C Impact 209 primer 90gr of Black Horn 209 and 250gr Thor bullets. I put a Leupold QR one piece base on it and use the QR rings. Sighted in my scope for Indiana and in seconds have the scope off to use iron sights and it returns to zero no problem. I use it on elk in CO and leave the scope at home. Simple no frills gun that shoots great and wont break the bank. I have an Encore but not a MZ barrel for it and couldn't justify the price when I could buy a complete rifle from T/C for less. The Impact uses the same scope base as the Encore so if you shop for a peep to mount get the one for the Encore and it will work. Not sure why T/C charges so much for their Encore barrels when you can buy a complete rifle for less or equal to the price of the barrel???

Does anyone have experience with the federal trophy copper bullets? 2018 regs say the bor lock system is legal and I just so happen to have some that I want to try in my CVA.

Tried the Federal trophy out of my TC-encore. They shot good groups(with scope). I didn't get to shoot anything with them last fall, so unknown on performance on game.
Peep sights are legal. Only sights that magnify or can add artificial light are illegal in CO.

Just got off the phone with Brad from CPW who got a response from the head of the law enforcement division about the tru glo ghost ring. They are, in fact, legal in Colorado. They allow fiberoptics to be incorporated into sights. Since the ring doesn't contain any lens that adds magnification to it, then they still consider the ghost ring an open sight.

Back