Best Kenetrek boots for Elk/Deer hunting?

samuel_284Win

All,

I am in the market for a new set of hunting boots. I do put on alot of miles each day (~10 miles per day) when hunting/hiking and would prefer a non-insulated boot. I live and hunt in Montana and also hunt some other states with family (Wyoming and Nebraska).

I need a boot that comes above the ankle a bit to prevent ankle rolling as I have very flat feet and my ankles can take a beating if they are not "locked in" and supported.

Would prefer a Kenetrek boot given I live in Bozeman and the flagship store is in town. What are your experiences and preferences when it comes to Kenetrek boots?

Go out to Four Corners to Kenetrek‘s “World Headquarters”, get your foot measured with the sock(s) you intend to wear in the boot, and I recommend the Mountain Extreme Non-Insulated (NI). I just purchased this same boot and wore them and they felt great. There are different ways to lace boots that help to “lock in“ your foot/feet.

I was pretty set on Schnee's, but tried them on and compared to Kenetrek, Lowa, etc. and went with the Kenetreks. They have a narrow option that fits me incredibly well. I am going to echo what everyone else is saying though. Go try a few different pairs on and see what fits the best. Buying from those brands, quality won't be the issue. Comfort will.

Mountain Extreme Non-Insulated
I have a pear I just got back from Kenetrek. They were 12 years old and needed new soles.
It was like $150 to resole and they oiled them and a new set of lases.
I plan to get another 12 years out of then. Hope I live that long Hahaha.
Imagine boots lasting a 1/4 of a century...

I have the Mountain Extreme Non-Insulated as well and have been very happy with them. They really grip the ground and give me the traction I need going up and down bad terrain.

I'm on my second pair of Hardscrabbles & love them. Echo everyone else's comments about getting fitted & trying on various pair if you can.

The new pair of Hardscrabble took a while to break in but they're solid now & I love them.

My Kenetrek Mountain Extreme boots are the best I have owned for elk hunting mountainous terrain because of the ankle support, tread grip, and good fit ... after searching and trying for decades to find a good mountain boot for hunting. Unless you are only hunting archery and don't hunt after October, then I strongly advise thinsulate in your boots.
You don't typically find deer and elk where it's flat, dry, and warm ... 'just sayin'.

I have hardscrabbles, MEs (on my second pair), and ME 400s. All fit a different niche. I would not get the 400s for archery season. If I could have one for do all hunting it would be the MEs, although the Hardscrabbles are nice too, but if you get snow/creek crossings the taller boot is a big plus, even with gaiters. I've had Schnees, LaSportiva, Garmont, and tried on a host of others over the years. These are my favorite by far. But I'll echo the above...all feet are different and they might not be for you so try on several brands/models to be sure.

I used to work timber for the usfs. lots of miles in a week sidehill. (I also have very weak ankles) only pair of kennetreks that held up for me for multiple years were the desert guides. That being said I now wear Lowas and wish I would of then.

Sorry to sidetrack but has anyone else found insulated kenetrek mountain extremes to run small? should a guy size up for insulated? Or do they account for this? I have 400s and after putting standard Kenetrek inserts into them they hardly fit. Ran* them last year with no inserts no problem, but figured I’d start coddling my feet if possible.

*boots being one of the few legitimate examples of runnable gear??

Sorry to sidetrack but has anyone else found insulated kenetrek mountain extremes to run small? should a guy size up for insulated? Or do they account for this? I have 400s and after putting standard Kenetrek inserts into them they hardly fit. Ran* them last year with no inserts no problem, but figured I’d start coddling my feet if possible.

*boots being one of the few legitimate examples of runnable gear??
Nope, mine fit perfect size with two pairs of socks. (one light, one heavy)

There are lots of reason we chose a certain boot. Fit is obviously the biggest, but customer service, brand respect, etc are others. Like optics, the differences between high end boot companies are very small. @Big Fin uses and recommends Kenetrek because they are damn good boots. Rinella like Schee's. I like Hoffmans. (when I get my own media company and PROMO code, I'll post it. )

I have an outrageously wide foot, and that drove me on a long quest for the right boot. Roosevelt said the choice of a rifle was like the choice of a friend. I would paraphrase that to say it is certainly true of boots.

I highly recommend you listen to @Big Fin 's podcast with the foot doctor. I learned that a lot of "boot fit" problems are actually insole fit problems. That is one of the most important reasons to go to the Kenetrek home store. They can experiment and swap out insoles right there to get you the fit you need.

If you live i Bozeman you are at an incredible advantage over most of us in getting a good boot fit.

Don't forget Randy's Kenetrek PROMO code. At the price of high end boots, that is a good savings.

I wanted to go with the Mountain Extreme NI but their fit did not work for me. I am now in Hoffman Explorers. (I and Hoffman are NORTH Idaho products, so I am happy with that. )
I liked them, after I went to an after market insoles, I LOVE them. (plug for Superfeet brand insoles...)

Regarding insoles - The way your factory insoles wear is a clue to how you can get to your perfect boot fit. The factory insoles in all my shoes tend to peel the fabric from the inside edge of the heel cup. That means the inside suface of my heel is contacting the insole first when I walk and the friction works the fabric loose. A couple strips of duct tape placed on the bottom of the insole on the OUTSIDE edge of the heel levels that out and gives me more comfort and solves the fabric peeling issues.

I have some Field and Stream off all things 900gram that are perfect for everything. $125 was to good to pass up.

I just bought a pair of Kenetrek NI Mountain Extremes for my first year of western hunting. Temperatures ranged from 60 to -10F with a foot of snow in CO. Even in those extreme temperatures my feet were comfortable with a liner sock and Canadians over them. Did my feet get cold? You bet. But my friends wearing 400g complained about the same thing. When the weather is warm they're perfect. And if it's cold, I just sit until I cannot any longer then start hiking to a new glassing spot. I don't think there is one boot for everything but I'm happy that I chose these are my primary. I'm thinking of getting a Kenetrek pack boot for late-season hunts just so I have the option of sitting for extended periods of time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back