Best guitar learning method?

Honestly, buy "Guitar for dummies" and work through it at least for learning chords and strumming techniques. That will give you a decent foundation through the boring stuff that can get you to playing songs.
Book, dvd?

I thought about learning to play guitar, but it looks hard, and i figure if you dont try you cant fail.

Seripusly though, if i was to learn an instrument, id pick up a banjo. Banjos are just flat awesome.

Check out Marty music on YouTube. Dudes a great teacher and breaks down songs great. Learn some chords by learning the songs once you get your feet under you dabble a toe or two into basic music theory.

Free site with hundreds of hours of video, songs, from beginner to advanced in different genres
This guy is great. Excellent personable teacher.

Van Halen is pretty good.
Look up Richard Smith. He and Tommy Emmanuel are in the top 10 "Finger Picker" guitarists in the world.
Rogelio and Gabriella are also pretty awesome.
Would "LOVE" to be able to play like that!
It's outside my abilities.
Chet Atkins and Jerry Reed are right up there too.

God may have blessed me with those talents, but I didn't pick up guitar until I was 60. That talent level is WAY behind me.
I use simple pick and strum methods and make simple music.
I can't read music.
My ear isn't trained.
I do, well, okay, with "fake" note music and make myself happy.
16116935592473749993219819927139.jpg
I won't ever make Branson, MO or Nashville! 😎!
No bar gigs or concert circuits!

I too would like to learn. My daughter is trying to teach me but I am not a good student

I did a 6 week class through the local JC Adult learning night classes in the early stages of my divorce. I got an ADD instructor who taught the basic chords but jumped all around with little structure.. It gave me enough motivation to practice but once the class was over I didn't keep it up. Now with 2 women in the house, I'm a little self conscious to start again. I probably need to just spend 15 minutes a night after work relearning.

I Have a Squire Strat that a friend loaned me that his wife got from work for free.... Neither play so it was sitting around. I also have a LP type as well so I can see what one feels better to me. I have medium to large hands. Not what guitar has the wider neck.
It's shocking how good some of those Squires are, for the price! Some folks think that they're actually better than many of the newer American made Fenders, and they not far off, if not. I don't have a ton to contribute. I started when I was 13 and took lessons from an in-person teacher for several years. I played on and off over the years, but have really been playing alot more for the past two. Man, I wish I had access to that teacher again. I have so many questions now about the music theory stuff that he was trying to teach me and I'm actually really motivated to learn it now...
I suspect that whatever app/subscription you go with, you're going to learn a ton and become comfortable with the basics, so don't overthink it. Have fun!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back