Best Fresh Tracks scene ever...according to my kids

rookhawk

Randy hooked my kids with one scene for non-trophy elk awhile ago. They started trimming up the animal next to a fire when they got the idea to cook some elk on a hot rock.

According to some fanatical young outdoors people in my straw poll, that was the coolest thing Randy has ever done on any episode!

Clearly, my children aren't Vegan.

So I did this quite awhile ago with some whitetail sort of just off-the-cuff as I was going to pack my buck out because I was so far back in the timber and beaver ponds. I made a nice little fire pit with rocks that were right there and had one decent sized piece of slate. Had the fire going just to keep warm and to re-warm my hands while I worked and I got HUNGRY. took a whole tenderloin and moved that hot piece of slate so it was level and out of the ashes and popped the loin right onto it - it sizzled and cooked in about 4 minutes. Only trouble was the amount of meat I lost that stuck to the rock and wouldnt release without scraping it with my knife - I dulled the blade pretty good out of my greed to get every morsel of meat off that rock.

Not to derail the thread, but I've never found freshly killed meat to be as tender as when you let the rigor go out of it overnight. I've tried fresh from the kill meat a couple times after butchering or packing and always found it very chewy. Now, I prefer to have the celebratory in camp T-loin meal the following morning for breakfast.

Not to derail the thread, but I've never found freshly killed meat to be as tender as when you let the rigor go out of it overnight. I've tried fresh from the kill meat a couple times after butchering or packing and always found it very chewy. Now, I prefer to have the celebratory in camp T-loin meal the following morning for breakfast.

You ever hear the saying "you never remember the recoil of the shot when hunting?". Equally brainwashed, "everything tastes amazing when you're eating something you just killed on a hunt". Back at camp you're bragging "best meal of my life" and "never tasted something so good" when in reality, its probably the lowest quality game meal of the year, ill prepared, poorly seasoned, yet our brain says "this is paradise".

So I reject the reality that you speak which is true "fresh meat can be tough" and replace it with the delightful fiction we savor "this fresh game is the best game I've ever had".

Happy delusions to all of us!

I’m too paranoid about CWD to eat a cervid kill before test results come back anymore. :(:(:( Perhaps if I ever kill something in a CWD free state.

My favorite moment was when Randy starts hunting grouse during an archery elk hunt and says to the camera “You guys who think you need a $4,000 dog or Italian shot gun, this is how you kill rough grouse.” That was such a fun moment during an incredible elk hunt.

Love the grouse, Uncle Larry, cactus, old guys popping WT does, sneaking 2 yards from the bedded bull, etc...but I still laugh hardest when I think about the scene where Cory stuck the rock in Randy's pack!!

"Okay, hold on... I didn't feel guilty walking down the hill...but walkin' four miles back!!"

Randy hooked my kids with one scene for non-trophy elk awhile ago. They started trimming up the animal next to a fire when they got the idea to cook some elk on a hot rock.

According to some fanatical young outdoors people in my straw poll, that was the coolest thing Randy has ever done on any episode!

Clearly, my children aren't Vegan.
Can anyone post the link to that video.. I'm not finding it.. would like to watch it

Reactions: JAG
Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back