best deer hunting cartridge

The 7-08 is the goldilocks round. It has the best available weights for deer size game and much better B.C.s on those same bullets compared to a 30 cal bore. The other mentions are ok too, but I think the 243 is more of a multipurpose varmint round and the Creedmoor is trendy to say the least which to me means expensive ammo.

The 7mm bore also has advantages over those as for a given bullet weight you get more velocity, due to less bearing surface of the bullet (friction). This is why in my opinion the short brass cartridges, the 7-08 is the sweet spot.

Everyone loves on the 308 but it's here because it's an old military round. I'd much rather have a 30-06 if I was going 30 cal

hi guys im looking to buy a new deer rifle and i thnk im going to go with either 308 or 7mm08 because im a smaller framed person. im open to any suggestions if anyone has a better caliber. i only shoot deer at less than 200 yards to I dont a a long range caliber. i can hadle 308 with ease and also shotguns with buckshot so anything less than that will be ok
Both are fine choices! I have a 7 mm08 I like it a lot but prefer a .30 cal. bullet. Between the 2 308👍
I think 308 ammo would be more readily available……

Don't doubt yourself... if you need more oopmh then a 243, buy it. Get a cartridge your confident in the first time. It's no fun regretting a rifle or having to buy another later because it's not what you needed.

I can tell you I shoot a 7mm rem mag and the recoil is mild. In my opinion other than ammo availability and cost there's no downside to go with the cartridge you think has the power you need.

May I also suggest the 270 winchester? It's a great round. Very good ballistics, pretty low recoil. Plenty of power. Bullet weights are slight less than what's available in 7mm. It would be 130 to 150 grain but fast. And it's one of the core hunting rounds so ammo is always very available and cheap. It's .277 bore.

There are also benefits to "more power" alot of the very recoil adverse folks will not mention. A 308 or 243 will kill a deer and a 30-06 or 270 or 7mm rem mag will too. But the latter will do it pushing a bigger higher BC bullet the same speed or lighter bullet faster. Ballistics matter. Especially to hunters who don't shoot hundreds of rounds a year to get good at estimating windage. A more powerful round will have less wind drift, making you more accurate in hunting situations. Same goes for elevation, flatter trajectory means you have a bigger margin of error. Also higher velocity means more energy, especially further away in yards where short rounds are really starting to slow down.

I wait all year to go hunting. I want the best equipment that's going go give me the best chance at a harvesting an animal.

There are also benefits to "more power" alot of the very recoil adverse folks will not mention. A 308 or 243 will kill a deer and a 30-06 or 270 or 7mm rem mag will too. But the latter will do it pushing a bigger higher BC bullet the same speed or lighter bullet faster. Ballistics matter. Especially to hunters who don't shoot hundreds of rounds a year to get good at estimating windage. A more powerful round will have less wind drift, making you more accurate in hunting situations. Same goes for elevation, flatter trajectory means you have a bigger margin of error. Also higher velocity means more energy, especially further away in yards where short rounds are really starting to slow down.

I wait all year to go hunting. I want the best equipment that's going go give me the best chance at a harvesting an animal.
Why are we talking about BC and velocity at 200 yards? There's no need to shoot a 30-06 or 7 mag at 200. Nothing wrong with it, but there's absolutely no reason that somebody should worry about their BC at that range.

If the shot is 200 yards or closer the 300 blackout will get it done. My daughter has been dropping them for last four years with hers and I took several big hogs with it too. They were all dropped or found within 50 yards. No recoil at all either.

Won't hunt deer this year, didn't draw a tag, again! Lot of different cartridges are perfect for deer depending on who you are. Just had a 700 ADL re-barreled to a 260 Rem. Thinking it should work pretty well.

After looking at the OP's previous posts in other threads, I believe that he/she may just be a troll.

if i go with 6.5 creedmoor. do you have a good rifle suggestion?
I've been very happy with a Browning X-bolt in 6.5 Creedmoor. It shoots a wide range of bullet weights and lower kick, especially with a muzzle break. My 10yo loves it and shoots 143 grain Hornady ELD X. It's very accurate and 143 grains is sufficient for most stuff.

Think every rifled killed deer of mine has been with a .243. Can take some tracking jobs, but i've had many 243 animals drop immediately

I didn't read all the replies, somebody needs to hear this. If you're fine with a 243 then you'd be fine with a 223. Outcomes are equivalent.

OP you'll be just dandy with a 7mm08. I suggest you survey ammo availability and choose what's easy. Look for soft bullets about 120gr or more that leave out at 2700fps or more. Speed does help to a point.

If I could handle a 30-06 at age twelve, you could certainly take the recoil. I still hunt with that same gun.
20230817_090946.jpg
Loaded down to 165 gr or even 150 gr copper, 30-06 is easy on the shoulder and still a deer killer. Ammo and components are also readily available everywhere.

Shop for a used gun. Buying a new rifle is like buying a new vehicle ... dumb and overly expensive. You can buy a quality walnut and blued used hunting rifle for less money than a crappy plastic stock spray painted new one. Classy guns like my old WWII Springfield come up all the time on GunPost for $500-$600.

Shop for a used gun. Buying a new rifle is like buying a new vehicle ... dumb and overly expensive. You can buy a quality walnut and blued used hunting rifle for less money than a crappy plastic stock spray painted new one. Classy guns like my old WWII Springfield come up all the time on GunPost for $500-$600.

Partly why I like my stevens 200 and savage model 10/110.

Once you get that initial action, you can make any custom gun you want.

Sorry, there is no 'BEST' deer hunting cartridge. The most you can hope for is a general compromise that will work under the general conditions you will be hunting within. So Pick one & then buy another one when that one doesn't fit exactly into every situation. Here's a short list.
243 Win
6.5 Creed
6.5X55
257 Roberts
25/06
250/3000
270 Win
264 Win Mag
270 Wthby Mag
240 Wthby Mag
7mm/08
7X57
7mm Rem Mag
7mm Wthby Mag
30/30
35 Rem
32 Win
44 Mag
45/70
8x57
30/06
300 Savage
8mm/06
280 Rem
12 Ga
20 Ga
Have to love it!

Best is in the eye of the beholder, but I've killed whitetail with 6.5cm, 30.06, .300win mag and .44 mag. They've all worked!

I have 3 different "deer" rifles; 30-06, 45-70, and .44 Mag. Depending on where I'm hunting will decide which rifle I use. If I'm shooting beyond 200 yards, it's the 30-06. Out to 150 yards it's the 30-06 or the 45-70, and out to 100 yards it's any of the three. Hunting from a stand on private property the shots are less than 100 yards. The ammo that I use is:
  • 30-06 - Buffalo Bore 168 gr Barnes TTSX
  • 45-70 - Hornady LEVERevolution 250 gr Monoflex
  • 44 Mag - Hornady LEVERevolution 225 gr FTX
If I were to have just one caliber it would be the 30-06.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back