best deer hunting cartridge

At less than 200 yards I'd just use a .243, but the 7mm/08 is really good. 6.5 is the cool thing to do tho.

My got to nowadays is .308 Win. Easy to find a wide selection of cartridges, reloading supplies, etc. no matter where you are and performs very well overall.

My favorite deer hunting round is .280 Rem with Nosler Accubonds as the bullet. I am moving toward copper bullets and the Nosler E-Tips are my my main .280 chambered rifles favorite so far but I still have some playing around to do yet. The only reason I don't list the .280 Rem as my fav is availability of cartridges and components is nowhere near what is is for the good 'ole .308 Win is but as far as performance I love the .280 Rem.

I really think to get what you want it’s just shot placement. Sounds like you want drt. You could use about anything but you want a high shoulder shot that shocks the spine. Just like @BAKPAKR was saying. There just isn’t enough performance difference between the cartridges you are discussing for it to matter. Shot placement will be the key

Mine is a Tikka. It is relatively lightweight and it’s accurate.
Tikka builds accurate well made firearms. Good choice. You might think about bumping it up just a bit and get the 6.5 PRC instead of the Creedmoor. It has a little bit more pop but is still light recoiling. 25-06, 257 Roberts, 280 Remington, or 280AI would be great choices also for deerhunter24.

The first caliber you mention .308 is hard to beat.
Also, can step up bullet size and hunt elk, caribou, moose, bear, etc. with it no problem.

If a 243 is a no-go, try a 6.5 Creedmoor and 147 gr Hornady ELD-Ms. Then, to avoid a tracking job, shoot for the shoulder.
That is what I shoot out of my
creedmoor, ironically I shoot a 243 just as much if not more and have killed a bunch with a 308 and even 223. I have never noticed much of a difference at the typical distances I kill deer.

I shoot a 7mm08 MRC X2 as my primary deer rifle. My deer rifle is more about the package than the caliber. I hunt out of a climber in the south east and drive an atv with in 50 yards of my stand. Shots are 50-200yards with most around 150. I wanted a rifle that had a 22 inch barrel and was medium weight 7.5-8.5 lbs all in and was all weather easy to handle. If I was walking in or walking around all day I would want a lighter rifle.

My back up deer rifle is a Rem 700 XCR in a McMillan edge classic in 270. Its a great deer rifle as checks all my boxes. 270 is plenty more than is really needed for eastern deer woods.

If I was starting all over this year or a young guy I would go 6.5 CM In a similar package as my 7mm08. Reason is the industry has got behind the 6.5 cm. I dont load so I use factory ammo. Although I currently have about a 15 year supply of 7mm08 and 270 finding that 7mm08 ammo is more difficult and there are more choices for the 6.5 cm. Top photo is 270 and lower is my 7mm08.
IMG_2209.jpegIMG_1319.jpeg

I would say go with the classic in the .308, when ammo wasn’t on the shelves during the pandemic I could still find .308. It’s such a go to round that you have an abundance of factory loads to choose from. I also like the .308 because if you decide to hunt bigger game you can just bump the grain weight up to 180’s and be just fine. I have both the 6.5 and .308 if I had to choose between them I would pick the .308 every time.

Enough threads asking about which caliber! There are hundreds on this site alone, do some searching and make a decision for yourself!!
Yes because there are only two calibers: .30 Nosler for me and 300RUM for @mtmuley

But yes, never ending debate, pick one, practice and hunt!

Understand what the hunting ammo you bought is designed to do. A fast expanding soft point is for behind the shoulder lung shots. A tough controlled expansion bullet that stays together on impact is designed for middle of the shoulder or point of the shoulder shooting. As has been stated , shot placement is the key regardless of the caliber.

Sorry, there is no 'BEST' deer hunting cartridge. The most you can hope for is a general compromise that will work under the general conditions you will be hunting within. So Pick one & then buy another one when that one doesn't fit exactly into every situation. Here's a short list.
243 Win
6.5 Creed
6.5X55
257 Roberts
25/06
250/3000
270 Win
264 Win Mag
270 Wthby Mag
240 Wthby Mag
7mm/08
7X57
7mm Rem Mag
7mm Wthby Mag
30/30
35 Rem
32 Win
44 Mag
45/70
8x57
30/06
300 Savage
8mm/06
280 Rem
12 Ga
20 Ga

hi guys im looking to buy a new deer rifle and i thnk im going to go with either 308 or 7mm08 because im a smaller framed person. im open to any suggestions if anyone has a better caliber. i only shoot deer at less than 200 yards to I dont a a long range caliber. i can hadle 308 with ease and also shotguns with buckshot so anything less than that will be ok
7mm08 always gets the job done for me

Go with a 22LR especially is you're recoil shy or have sensitive ears. It's really versatile and easy to shoot from your vehicle, ammo is comparatively cheap, and you can pick up budget friendly rifles almost anywhere.
If you want to spice it up throw a suppressor on their and go stealth mode. If you feel like you want to stretch it out a bit you can always move up to the 22 Mag but there's a bit more recoil unless you run the Thunderbeast suppressor system.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
idelkhntr13
Back