PEAX Equipment

best deer hunting cartridge

deerhunter24

Hi guys im looking to buy a new deer rifle and i thnk im going to go with either 308 or 7mm08 because i´m a smaller framed person. I´m open to any suggestions if anyone has a better caliber. i only shoot deer at less than 200 yards to I don´t need a a long range caliber. I can hadle 308 so anything less than that will be ok.

Last edited:
How about a 243 or 6.5 Creedmoor? Both recoil less than either of the cartridges you mentioned, and either would be fine on a deer well beyond 200 yards.
Hi, thanks for the advice. i have a 243 but i need more power. as for the 6.5 creedmoor i will look more into that

I have used a pretty wide variety of cartridges on whitetails, ranging from 223 to 338 Lapua. Deer aren’t hard to kill but they can still cover some ground despite devastating damage unless you hit the central nervous system or a shoulder.
nice. i sometimes use 223 but it is a little underkill in my opinion

.308, 7-08, 6.5 cm, the deer won’t know the difference. You don’t need premium bullets for inside 200 yards either - hit the lungs and they die quickly. For what it’s worth I’ve killed piles of whitetails and been present for another hundred or more deer kills and if I’m deer hunting for myself (rare anymore) I usually take a .308.

thanks guys. i reckon that i will get a 65 creedmoor because it seems absolutely perfect for me. go check out my other threads and awnser those as well as i would love to know other peoples opionions

Having shot a fair few whitetails with both the .308 and 6.5, anecdotally it seems like the .308 tends to fold them right there with a shot high behind the shoulder whereas the 6.5 allows for a bit more steam left in them. On the other hand, the only deer I've ever lost was a small doe that I centerpunched behind the shoulder with a .308 that slipped off into a swamp in a driving rainstorm.

Either way, Tikka would be an excellent choice.

Back