Yeti GOBOX Collection

Best cost effective solution to the current issue with my Savage M110 Long Range Hunter in .300 WSM

I agree with those who suggest soaking it in some carbon disolver. That should fix that problem and you're back in business. If you want to trade it off anyway you might want to consider going with 308 solely based on ammo costs. With the distances your talking 308 will do just fine with a good bullet. As for losing some $ on the swap you'll make it up on the ammo cost savings. Right now 308 is the most economical big game choice. 300 wsm on the other hand is hard to find and spendy. Reloading would fix that though.
My Dad sprayed it Down with WD40 a couple days ago and we tried to turn it with a rag and channel locks and nothing happened. I need to find some Kroil somewhere.

I reload and have a “decent” amount of ammo and about 100 bullets that I can load. But yes 308 is much cheaper and actually available next n every store

This is my current little stash of factory ammo and bullets for reloading. All three shoot well at 100 yards, so does the Hornady Outfitters 180 grain GMX that I am out of.

Attachments

• 1FC1E911-16E8-407E-A49F-FA27C54806F6.jpeg
    1FC1E911-16E8-407E-A49F-FA27C54806F6.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 3
What is Kroil? Guys at the trap club say soaking a shotgun muzzle in brake cleaner will loosen frozen choke tubes. I imagine it would work just as well loosening brakes.

WD40 is very useful ... for target practice. That's about it. Totally useless for protecting gun metal from the elements. It will be gone in five minutes after leaving the truck. But it smells nice.

I agree with those who suggest soaking it in some carbon disolver. That should fix that problem and you're back in business. If you want to trade it off anyway you might want to consider going with 308 solely based on ammo costs. With the distances your talking 308 will do just fine with a good bullet. As for losing some $ on the swap you'll make it up on the ammo cost savings. Right now 308 is the most economical big game choice. 300 wsm on the other hand is hard to find and spendy. Reloading would fix that though.
He reloads.
So the bullets are the same.
The cases are, what they are.
About 20gr more powder give or take than the 308.
And magnum primers are easier to find than regular large rifle, dependent upon locallity.

My Dad sprayed it Down with WD40 a couple days ago and we tried to turn it with a rag and channel locks and nothing happened. I need to find some Kroil somewhere.

I reload and have a “decent” amount of ammo and about 100 bullets that I can load. But yes 308 is much cheaper and actually available next n every store
Use PB blaster or some type of penetrating oil. It is a far better choice than WD-40

Also, you can try using some impact as well. After you let the penetrating oil soak for about 24 hours, have someone hold it so the butt is on the ground, barrel straight up. Put a block of wood square on the end of the muzzle, and give it a good rap or two with a hammer.

Absolutely imperative your hammer strikes are directly in line with the axis of the barrel.

If you ever pass through my part of the state, I would give you some. But, if you have no trips planned, Amazon, Midwayusa, and Brownells all have it.

What is Kroil? Guys at the trap club say soaking a shotgun muzzle in brake cleaner will loosen frozen choke tubes. I imagine it would work just as well loosening brakes.

WD40 is very useful ... for target practice. That's about it. Totally useless for protecting gun metal from the elements. It will be gone in five minutes after leaving the truck. But it smells nice.
Kroil is a brand name of penetrating oil.
Comes in the old fashiony tin can.
Has a red label. Around here it's running about $18 for a can.

Guys i shoot matches with all swear by mixing 1/4 - 1/3 Kroil with Hoppes #9 for cleaning.

@BAKPAKR @std7mag I just ordered the tin can of Kroil ($21 on Amazon) and a two pack of strap wrenches today. Should be at my Dad’s no later than Friday. Hopefully 🙏 this will work. It should. If it doesn’t I will sent it back to Savage.
If I had the money 💵 I would just get it cut to 22 inches and threaded and capped. But I don’t atm.

My Dad soaked my brake in the Kroil for almost a day and used those rubber strap wrenches that I ordered and nothing happened. He said that he reapplied more Kroil. I will be out his way to visit tomorrow and see what is going on myself. Hopefully 🙏 it works. If not Savage will be receiving a call from me on Monday.

We reapplied some Kroil and let it soak and tried to turn it with multiple tools, but no luck at all. I also bought some sonic defenders from Walmart and put in my ears, I took a shot and my ears still rang for a bit. :( So I called Savage yesterday and will be sending my .300 WSM and possibly my A17 back to them for warranty repairs. Thankfully I have my .270 Win that I have had for 20+ years to use if need be. I will actually use it for WV rifle season this year, and if I win a mule deer hunt I would use it then too. Rifle season is WV is that Monday before Thanksgiving so I have plenty of time.

@std7mag I have been scouring the inter webs for a lighter weight left hand rifle in .300 WSM for under $1300, preferably under $1000. My two choices of hand and cartridge and even price makes it difficult. The pickings are slim and even more slim for rifles that are in stock.
I have found a few Savage M110s, from the Storm model to the Ultralight, not many Impulse (it’s heavy at 8.8 lbs though), the Tikka T3X Lite and Lite Stainless, the Browning X Bolt Hunter which is their wood stock model and A Bolt and a Montana Rifle Company on GunBroker (also a woodstock rifle)
I don’t have issues with wood stocks but everyone talks about the all weather capability of a quality synthetic material stock, less warp and cracking.
What I want is a sub 7.5 lb rifle in left hand for those spot and stalk quicker yet ethical follow up shots if needed or ease of running a bolt to safely load the chamber when I see game instead of carrying hot. I want a 20-22 inch barrel that is threaded and capped, but suppressor ready when I am finally able to budget one into my system. Most of those rifles including the Savage Ultra Light have 23-24 inch barrels. (Not sure if one can cut off and rethread a carbon wrapped barrel) I don’t want a super long weapon for the terrain and thick foliage that we hunt in around here in the East. But I don’t want a barrel too short either where I lose too much performance from my cartridge choice.
I might have to eventually go the route that was mentioned and find a reasonable priced used short action like a .308 and order a barrel from Douglas or Shilen since ER Shaw doesn’t have the option for .300 WSM.

This is just a back up plan when I get the budget for it, but I will wait on my Long Range Hunter to return from Savage and go from there. Thanks everyone.

We reapplied some Kroil and let it soak and tried to turn it with multiple tools, but no luck at all. I also bought some sonic defenders from Walmart and put in my ears, I took a shot and my ears still rang for a bit. :( So I called Savage yesterday and will be sending my .300 WSM and possibly my A17 back to them for warranty repairs. Thankfully I have my .270 Win that I have had for 20+ years to use if need be. I will actually use it for WV rifle season this year, and if I win a mule deer hunt I would use it then too. Rifle season is WV is that Monday before Thanksgiving so I have plenty of time.
Hope they get it sorted out for you. I’d be curious what they find/do to make it work.

@std7mag I have been scouring the inter webs for a lighter weight left hand rifle in .300 WSM for under $1300, preferably under $1000. My two choices of hand and cartridge and even price makes it difficult. The pickings are slim and even more slim for rifles that are in stock.
I have found a few Savage M110s, from the Storm model to the Ultralight, not many Impulse (it’s heavy at 8.8 lbs though), the Tikka T3X Lite and Lite Stainless, the Browning X Bolt Hunter which is their wood stock model and A Bolt and a Montana Rifle Company on GunBroker (also a woodstock rifle)
I don’t have issues with wood stocks but everyone talks about the all weather capability of a quality synthetic material stock, less warp and cracking.
What I want is a sub 7.5 lb rifle in left hand for those spot and stalk quicker yet ethical follow up shots if needed or ease of running a bolt to safely load the chamber when I see game instead of carrying hot. I want a 20-22 inch barrel that is threaded and capped, but suppressor ready when I am finally able to budget one into my system. Most of those rifles including the Savage Ultra Light have 23-24 inch barrels. (Not sure if one can cut off and rethread a carbon wrapped barrel) I don’t want a super long weapon for the terrain and thick foliage that we hunt in around here in the East. But I don’t want a barrel too short either where I lose too much performance from my cartridge choice.
I might have to eventually go the route that was mentioned and find a reasonable priced used short action like a .308 and order a barrel from Douglas or Shilen since ER Shaw doesn’t have the option for .300 WSM.

This is just a back up plan when I get the budget for it, but I will wait on my Long Range Hunter to return from Savage and go from there. Thanks everyone.
Why not just order a prefit barrel in a lighter contour and length you want? There are tons of companies that make a prefit for a savage or any competent gunsmith can easily spin you up a barrel.

$1,300 puts you in Weatherby Mark V territory.

L/H Axis II can be had for around $400 or less. $300 for a Douglas barrel. $159 for a Boyds Spike Camp stock.

Not saving a ton of money.
BUT.....
You can get things as you can afford them. Which really saves on that stinging sensation in the wallet area. ;)

Why not just order a prefit barrel in a lighter contour and length you want? There are tons of companies that make a prefit for a savage or any competent gunsmith can easily spin you up a barrel.
Hmm 🤔 that’s a good idea as well. That’s true they definitely do. Probably the easiest to switch out with the barrel nut 🔩 etc… I am sure that AccuStock is the same for their sporter contour rifles like the Storm ⛈ and Hunter.
I want a handier rifle and for me as a left eye dominate shooter although I am right handed, it would be a left hand bolt rifle.
I can work a right just fine in most situations , but that one buck that I shot at 25 yards actually came charging at me and I was so scared I tried to rack another round in, but me being new to a right hand rifle reached across my rifle with my left to work the bolt instead of using my right. Thankfully that movement startled him and he turned to his right and went up the hill and died. I guess I have that experience in my head. I know that will only happen 1 out of 10 times or more, but it comes back to mind. Haha 😆

$1,300 puts you in Weatherby Mark V territory.

L/H Axis II can be had for around $400 or less. $300 for a Douglas barrel. $159 for a Boyds Spike Camp stock.

Not saving a ton of money.
BUT.....
You can get things as you can afford them. Which really saves on that stinging sensation in the wallet area. ;)
I only mentioned $1,300 to give me more wiggle room for options. I was mostly referring to those models if I were to sell my current rifle for around $950 and was willing to pay a little more for a better and lighter rifle that is available in left hand.
Weatherby Hunter is $1500 and doesn’t come in left and no Weatherby comes in 300 WSM. I have to hit $2000 for a lefty and I am not interested in a .300 Wby Mag or 30-378 Wby Mag, they’re harder boomers than my 300 WSM and the ammo is expensive, although I can reload.
I wasn’t sure if the Axis II action was recommended or any good for a more budget friendly build? I do like that they come with the Accutrigger.
I found a LH model 11 on GunBroker for about $500. I have looked at and have wanted to get a Boyd’s Gunstock for years especially in Forest 🌳 green camo or Pepper Gray.

Back