Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Best Bullett for 7mm Rem Mag

Oh, fps is roughly the same as is. I'm not worried about it. It delivers stellar accuracy with other loads.
Interesting. Could be the brass itself, but the batches of Federal nickel plate that I have are pretty uniform for domestic brass.

I have never had good accuracy results with Nosler Partitions. Now, the Nosler Accubond is a different story.
I’m most likely going to be shooting 175-200 yds max. Will accubonds perform at that distance better? What’s the big difference in the two or even the ETip? I want to match the bullet with best performance under 200 yds.

I shoot out to 400 yds, on a bipod mostly. I use Hornady SST 162 gr. for bulls. Great ballistics, knocks them down consistently. It's a popular bullet, I also use it in my .308 and 270. For cows, I will also use barnes copper bullets. Specifically LRX 168 gr. They are copper, no chance of lead in your meat and you don't get the half a quarter lost to bloodshot issue. They just poke a hole through and do much less shock damage. If you can hit them in the kill zone, they work fine. However, I don't recommend copper on bulls!

I just booked my first Elk hunt for 2023. I have a Weatherby Vanguard 7mm Rem Mag and am wondering what bullets I should try. They guide mentioned Nosler Partition, Remington Cor Lokt and Federsl Premium. I was going to use Hornady ELDx.

Any suggestions? I also reload so if any of you have some favorite loads you would to share for 7mm Rem Mag I’d give them a whirl.
Norma shooting has a 165 grain polymer tip Bondstrike that is reasonably priced that preforms very well at long fangs on elk.

I shoot out to 400 yds, on a bipod mostly. I use Hornady SST 162 gr. for bulls. Great ballistics, knocks them down consistently. It's a popular bullet, I also use it in my .308 and 270. For cows, I will also use barnes copper bullets. Specifically LRX 168 gr. They are copper, no chance of lead in your meat and you don't get the half a quarter lost to bloodshot issue. They just poke a hole through and do much less shock damage. If you can hit them in the kill zone, they work fine. However, I don't recommend copper on bulls!
Sounds like you're using the wrong bullet combination if the bullets "just poke a hole". A lot of us here have killed bulls at the same distance with copper bullets with great results so I'm guessing you chose the wrong bullet.

I’m most likely going to be shooting 175-200 yds max. Will accubonds perform at that distance better? What’s the big difference in the two or even the ETip? I want to match the bullet with best performance under 200 yds.
Any of those would do great. Can't go wrong with them.
The partitions and accubonds will do a little more damage, but the e-tip will waste less meat and penetrate further. No matter what you prefer, the animal will die if you do your part.

Sounds like you're using the wrong bullet combination if the bullets "just poke a hole". A lot of us here have killed bulls at the same distance with copper bullets with great results so I'm guessing you chose the wrong bullet.

Any of those would do great. Can't go wrong with them.
The partitions and accubonds will do a little more damage, but the e-tip will waste less meat and penetrate further. No matter what you prefer, the animal will die if you do your part.
I've used all three plus the LR Accubond. I like the regular Accubond the best. mtmuley

I didn’t choose that round, the man at the ammo store recommended it. I tried it, I shared my experience with that very specific round. When I say “poke a hole” I really meant “minimize shock damage and wasted meat”. That is a desired result of that round for me. In my very limited experience with copper I cannot recommend it for bull elk at that range. If you know of a good copper load, do share.

I didn’t choose that round, the man at the ammo store recommended it. I tried it, I shared my experience with that very specific round. When I say “poke a hole” I really meant “minimize shock damage and wasted meat”. That is a desired result of that round for me. In my very limited experience with copper I cannot recommend it for bull elk at that range. If you know of a good copper load, do share.
hit the search button and type in Hammer Bullets if that's not enough go to Google and type the same with whatever cartridge you have. They're the only hunting bullet that I will buy from now on though I still have and use Partitions in my 270 because I have hundreds from when Nosler Factory seconds were less than $15/50.

I've used all three plus the LR Accubond. I like the regular Accubond the best. mtmuley
I like what works. Never used the ABLR but the other three have all done well in various flavors. Overall, I'd say to go with what shoots most accurately in his gun, though 200 yards won't need .1 MOA groups. I've shot a 30-30 that far without any real trouble.

hit the search button and type in Hammer Bullets if that's not enough go to Google and type the same with whatever cartridge you have. They're the only hunting bullet that I will buy from now on though I still have and use Partitions in my 270 because I have hundreds from when Nosler Factory seconds were less than $15/50.
What’s the difference in Hammer Hunter and Shock Hammer bulletts.

Many great choices these days, well kinda. I'd look at what you can find first of all ha. 140 and 160gr 7mm accubond bullets have killed more elk in my family than anything else. Ive used a ton of different bullets and it is an easy standard for hunting. That said the hammers are really growing on me, benefits of a mono with shock damage somewhat similar to a berger. I'm currenty building a 7saum around a 155 hammer hunter.

I just booked my first Elk hunt for 2023. I have a Weatherby Vanguard 7mm Rem Mag and am wondering what bullets I should try. They guide mentioned Nosler Partition, Remington Cor Lokt and Federsl Premium. I was going to use Hornady ELDx.

Any suggestions? I also reload so if any of you have some favorite loads you would to share for 7mm Rem Mag I’d give them a whirl.
Boy your bullet choices are all over the board. Likely anyone would do if you placed it right! These thing's with bullet's are to me so overplayed they are ridiculas! Take each bullet you suggested and place it exactly where you envision the best shot to be and from the time the bullet hits to when the animal falls down, what is going to change? Something few seem to realize is that there is no magic in a bullet, the magic is in knowing how to use the bullet you selected!

I used a 7mm Rem Mag many years ago and put a lot of tough into bullet's. Couldn't get the old Nosler partitions to shoot well enough to satify myself! Felt the 154gr Hornady spire point was just a bit to light and was certain of any lighter bullet. Things have changed. had a 115gr load that was super accurate in it and properly placed for what the bullet was, instant death but who knew back then? Bullet of preference with that old rifle was the 160gr Speer Hot Core, never failed me! It helps that dure to the construction of that bullet simply gave me a large area to place a good shot! people today have a ton of good bullet's avaliable to them and for what ever reason people are still killing game with Remington core locks, must be luck! Will a monolithic bullet kill an animal any deader than dead? I don't think so. If you hit an animal in the ear with a varmint bullet will it simply walkaway? I doubt it!

The best bullet for anyone is the bullet they shoot best and have a lot of faith in! make your stalk, place your bullet and fill out your tag! of course also understand what you have to do to make the bullet do what it needs to do!

Back