Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Best bullet for 6.5 creedmoor

Started with 143 eldx with great results on deer, antelope and a cow elk. I switched to the 127 Barnes LRX and love them. I’ve gotten pass through on a bear, 2 cow elk, and many deer and antelope.

BE03F517-FB93-4FE6-BF40-828A0E6B1164.jpeg1EDA64DC-ABFC-41CE-8DE4-0589DBBDB827.jpeg
This is the result of the factory 156g Berger round at 200 yards +\-. Wanted to try them out on antelope before taking them on the elk hunt. Probably way to much for an antelope but he collapsed dead instantly and I didn’t lose any meat!

View attachment 196904View attachment 196905
This is the result of the factory 156g Berger round at 200 yards +\-. Wanted to try them out on antelope before taking them on the elk hunt. Probably way to much for an antelope but he collapsed dead instantly and I didn’t lose any meat!
Make sure you post if you shoot an Elk with one of those. I'm curious to see how those "varmint bullets" react on one. People really seem to like them.

I’ve used a 260 REM with 100 gr Nosler BT, 120 gr Hornady GMX, 120 gr Barnes TTSX, 129 gr Hornady Interlock, and 130 gr Sierra Gamechanger.
100 gr Nosler works well for antelope and deer.
I’ve used the 120 Barnes on antelope and deer, 120 and 129 Hornadys on elk, deer, and antelope. I used the 130 Gamechangers for a mountain goat. All worked great.
I personally believe 120-130 grain bullets are best for the 6.5 creedmoor and 260 REM, given their case capacities. A 120 grain bullet at 3000 is very effective.

I've been using the Berger 135gr classic hunter with great success in both accuracy and terminal performance. I think there are others that due to higher BC buck the wind even better, but I'm shooting an autoloader and as a result I needed a bullet that was less susceptible to seating depth/jump issues (relegated to Large frame AR mag length). This bullet works exceptionally well in my setup and I went to it because I tried several others with higher BC's and longer ogives but couldn't make them work (though I would like to have made the 142gr ABLR go for me).

My load: Peterson brass, Br-4 primer, 135 classic hunter, 44.9gr Viht N555 2938fps average ES of 9 and will hold right around 1" at 200 yards on my good days.

124 grain Hammer Hunter. My Tikka 6.5 loves em (as most rifles do). Super easy to load and tune and exceptional terminal performance.
very nice...I bought some and really wish I coulda made em work in my 6.5 - my finicky auto loader is PITA. I love the Hammer hunter in my 338LM, I can seat it anywhere within a truly broad window and still get bug hole performance out of it. I should probably try the 124 again with N555 and see what happens, before I was pushing it with Reloder 16 and it was no bueno.

My experience with the Hornady Superformance 120gr GMX in 6.5:

My conclusion: worked great at 400 yards. 1 shot. ran about 75 yards with big blood trail. I would not want to go past 400 yards on a cow elk.
My buddy shot same bullet on a cow elk at about 315 yards with great success. 1 shot and cow ran about 20-30 yards.

That said, when I could afford it, I did pick up a 300wsm I'll use from now on for elk, bulls and cows.

I know this reply is late but my 6.5 loves the 140gr accubond and the 140gr speer gold-dot. Killed 3 whitetails last year with the accubonds

Back