Best African plains cartridge

But you forgot to insert the same safari pic for the 300th time!
Obviously not the same picture 300 times but probably more animals in these photos of last four years than you have taken your whole life.
Africa animals 2022.jpg16881758352722371387319981244370.jpg1688175901887986397162264205228.jpg
And there she is. WWII Springfield 30-06 on top alongside 404 Jeffery under construction on a post war BRNO military Mauser 98. 30-06 works fine for plains game.
16881759957593316263521082986224.jpg

l

like i said before. i have rifles but i like to see other peoples opinions. which one should i take anyway
Use this one. You can get one of those fancy clamp on rifle stocks and it will lessen the GSR on your face.
If you're left eye dominant I'd recommend a semi auto to hasten follow up shots. Screenshot_20230630_185657.jpg

Obviously not the same picture 300 times but probably more animals in these photos of last four years than you have taken your whole life.
View attachment 282057View attachment 282058View attachment 282059
And there she is. WWII Springfield 30-06 on top alongside 404 Jeffery under construction on a post war BRNO military Mauser 98. 30-06 works fine for plains game.
View attachment 282060
Just ribbin ya, I love the old Springfield, everything I've ever killed has been with mine from my grandpa. Yeah I've maybe killed about that many deer and elk in my life but all DIY and nearly all public land so no shame here. Nice pics, some day maybe I'll make it to Africa, I hear it's quite reasonable!

Maybe elk on a good day. Gemsbuck is the best red meat I've yet eaten ... though I hear springbuck is better.
Interesting, I'd like to try Axis since they seem to match the description you wrote about Gemsbok. The Kudu look like they might be a bit tougher to palate, but I've never tried one personally. Nice pics, good for you on being able to harvest such a different variety of game.

Just ribbin ya, I love the old Springfield, everything I've ever killed has been with mine from my grandpa. Yeah I've maybe killed about that many deer and elk in my life but all DIY and nearly all public land so no shame here. Nice pics, some day maybe I'll make it to Africa, I hear it's quite reasonable!
I'm a DIY public land guy too. Fifty-nine years of it (I'll be 71 this fall).
20200607_151551.jpg20211007_165139.jpg

I'm mostly an elk hunter, but I have done 6 African hunting trips. Other than my Cape Buffalo and one other trip where I used my .375 RUM, I used my elk hunting rifles ... .30-06, 7 mm RM, and on my last 3 trips, my .300 Weatherby.
ceBtZYyl.jpg

OX2NjUSl.jpg

Hi guys i am going to Africa for a hunting trip and i am wondering what rifle to buy and what ammo. i only shoot deer with a 223 at the moment and i dont have any bigger calibers. i will be shooting animals as big as ornx and wilderbeast. also let me know what rifle you would reccomend
Good old 30-06, 7mm rm, or 300 wm will do just fine with a good monolithic bullet in Africa. Most shot are well under 300 yards and if your in good country with a good PH should be no problem he will tell you where to shoot.

If I could afford a hunt like that, I could afford a new rifle also and I simply don't like using other people's equip. Doesn't matter if it's hunting, fishing or bowling. I use my own equipment!
The logistics of taking a gun into Africa seems to be a pain in the ass by the time you by permits and travel with it. I haven’t gone yet but currently working on a trip. It’s like a quarter of the money to use a camp gun and they run suppressed. I’d rather just travel with a carry on and not worry about losing one of my hunting rifles

The logistics of taking a gun into Africa seems to be a pain in the ass by the time you by permits and travel with it. I haven’t gone yet but currently working on a trip. It’s like a quarter of the money to use a camp gun and they run suppressed. I’d rather just travel with a carry on and not worry about losing one of my hunting rifles
Yes, that's why I've gone over to a takedown recurve. The crap I had to put up with a compound case is just not worthit. One day waiting at the merry go roundish no sign of my case I went for a stroll and way in a corner was my lonely compound case.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Caleb_u
Back