Best African plains cartridge

deerhunter24

Hi guys i am going to Africa for a hunting trip and i am wondering what rifle to buy and what ammo. I will be shooting animals as big as ornx and wilderbeast. Also let me know what rifle you would reccomend.

Last edited:
Hi guys i am going to Africa for a hunting trip and i am wondering what rifle to buy and what ammo. i only shoot deer with a 223 at the moment and i dont have any bigger calibers. i will be shooting animals as big as ornx and wilderbeast. also let me know what rifle you would reccomend

What happened to your 338 win and 300 RUM?

“Shiras moose caliber
I have shot moose with lots of rifles but i will always go back to the good old 338 win mag. if you dont like recoil stick with the 25 06 but get good quality ammo
deerhunter24 Post #88 Yesterday at 10:15 PM Forum: BIG THREE - Moose, Goat, Sheep”

“Alaska Cartridge Question
A 7 mag would be ok But i use 300 RUM for alaska hunting trips
deerhunter24 Post #10 Today at 2:04 AM Forum: Other Big Game”

“Shiras moose caliber
I have shot moose with lots of rifles but i will always go back to the good old 338 win mag. if you dont like recoil stick with the 25 06 but get good quality ammo
deerhunter24 Post #88 Yesterday at 10:15 PM Forum: BIG THREE - Moose, Goat, Sheep”

BUSTED

I actually have a trip in May to South Africa and after talking with my outfitter I've decided to not bring a gun. He rents rifles for $50 bucks a day and only offers 30-06 or 375 H&H caliber rifles. That tells you about all you need to know right there. He actually also offers a 470 nitro expess if you are hunting Buffalo and want that double rifle experience but you have to pass a accuracy test first and he recommends most people should stick with the scoped 375.

I actually have a trip in May to South Africa and after talking with my outfitter I've decided to not bring a gun. He rents rifles for $50 bucks a day and only offers 30-06 or 375 H&H caliber rifles. That tells you about all you need to know right there. He actually also offers a 470 nitro expess if you are hunting Buffalo and want that double rifle experience but you have to pass a accuracy test first and he recommends most people should stick with the scoped 375.
I reached same conclusion. Am using camp rifles and ammo then flying with carryon bags only. This was not an easy conclusion as have harvested a lot of game over the years with just 3 different rifles and the Africa adventure would have added to the memories tied to those guns. I avoid a lot of hassle, though, using the camp guns since my largest rifle is .338 WinMag so I would be buying a .375 H&H otherwise to take with me.

l

“Shiras moose caliber

like i said before. i have rifles but i like to see other peoples opinions. which one should i take anyway

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Caleb_u
Back