Berger VLD reviews for elk

They’re fine if you pick your shots like you’re shooting a bow. Very deadly when slipped through the ribs. Very disappointing when trying to go through a shoulder or a quartering away shot where you’ve got to penetrate a lot of body mass before your projectile will reach the vitals.

I’ve only shot one elk with them. 140gr Elite Hunter. Worked as well as anything would have considering where it was hit...perhaps better than anything would have.

On mule deer they’ve anchored animals better than anything I’ve ever shot. Ive used 185 VLDs in a .308 and, and 130 VLD, 140VLD, 140 Elite Hunter, and 156 EOL in a 6.5-257AI.

I’ve killed a bunch of elk with vld’s. all one shot kills, closest 100 ish yards farthest in the 900’s. Almost exclusively .284 168’s but my kids and others I load for have taken a wider variety from 6.5-30 in a variety of weights. Pretty much always aim center of lung.

Last edited:
The VLDs are excellent on all game, including elk. I shot a cow this past season at 450 yards with a 130 VLD out of my 6.5 creedmor. Went 20 yards and dead.

I‘m against it. Shot a couple animals with the 7MM 168. Poked some holes about like an arrow with a field point would have. No blood. Never lost an animal but I’m not using it anymore.
Did you happen to use the target version?

Did you happen to use the target version?
My first two VLD kills acted as FMJs. I emailed Berger with how disappointed I was. They asked me if I had pointed them. I had. They said “NEVER POINT BULLETS YOU’RE HUNTING WITH”. They also informed me that about 1% of boxes had been doing that. They thought they knew what the problem was and had made a change. They offered me a box of anything in exchange, and assured me that as long as I didn’t point them, I would not run into that problem again. Thus far, they have been correct.

That was probably 2013.

i use 168 gr in 7mm. They work very well in my rifle. As the others have said, they blow a lot of meat
if you hit the critter too far forward.
I have hit 2 elk in the shoulder and have had to leave the offside shoulder.

I've shot Bergers since 2007 I believe. 7mm, 168-gr. VLD's.
Probably 20 or so elk and a pile of other critters including a couple XL black bears. Anywhere from under 50 to 1,000+ yards. Best bullet I've ever used by a long ways.
I've never experienced the "meat loss" that others speak of. Exceptional bullet in my opinion.

I've shot a lot of elk with 190gr Berger VLDs out of my .300 RUM. They group well for me. It's a devastating bullet making shot placement very important. A misplaced shot can destroy a lot of meat so I try to get broadside shots vs quartering shots. When I do get those broadside shots, the elk drop within just a few yards. Technically speaking, VLDs are really designed to kill at lower velocities out at ...wait for it....Very Long Distances. Typically I'm at 200-300 yards so I'm with those who've mentioned taking a look at the Hammers. All that said, the VLDs have grouped better than anything I've tried to date which is why I haven't moved off them yet.

I will also add that I have started pin drilling the tips on my Berger’s as part of my loading process. A few have been plugged with polishing media trapped in the nose cavity but most are clear.

I’ve shot Elk, Caribou, Deer, Antelope, and Black Bear with a 168 VLD and never had issues.

It’s also the most powerful cartridge known to man so that might be some of it.
Didn’t realize you were a Mashburn shooter

I will say NO. Here is my response to another question about Berger bullets from last year.

I have personally seen only 1 bull shot with a 190 grain Berger vld from my bros 30-06. It was a standing 340ish yard shot quartering towards us. The bullet penetrated only a few inches and disintegrated. And no the bull did not die with that shot.
Had my bro been shooting a normal bullet the bull wouldn't have required being chased down and finished off.
We poked our fingers numerous times on the tiny fragments from the exploding bullet.
My brother will not use them ever again and I will not use them. I've had much better performance from the plain old fashioned Core-Lokt ammo which by the way have never fragmented on us.
Bergers don't "explode"!
They perform exactly as advertized.
Go in 1-3" then EXPAND.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back