MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Berger 215 Hybrid

mtmuley

Anyone here shooting it? Done a bunch of reading, but figured I'd see if any HTers had hands-on experience. Finally found them locally and might give them a whirl. Supposed high velocity for a heavy .30 using a short bearing surface. mtmuley

No experience with the 215's but I've been shooting the 200 gr hybrids out of my .300 win with great results

Yep, read the whole thing. He thought the 215 may be explosive at RUM velocity. Was hoping someone here had some velocity info. A few guys posted on Broz's thread, but just trying to get an idea of how fast they might be pushed. Or, I just say the heck with it, buy a box and shoot I guess. mtmuley

Haven't used that grain but can tell you that Bergers are insanely destructive.
Lawnboy, they can be. In my kids.243s, the 95 grain VLD kills like crazy and no carnage. 168 Classic Hunters in .30-06, not too bad. The 190 VLD in my RUM, terrible. As with any bullet, you need to match to the cartridge. I didn't ever used to worry about that, but these days, I think you have to. Don't know if I will hunt with the 215s. Research first. mtmuley

Shot an elk and a mule deer this year both at 200 yards out of a 300 win mag 2800 fps muzzle velocity with awesome results. Buck did a big jump then down, the elk ran about 20 yards then head over tea kettle. Can't wait till October!

Pretty sure I'm gonna shoot these a bit. Word is they are forgiving, at least more than the VLD. But, if they don't shoot, it might just be my lock time. mtmuley

Coming from a guy that took dozens of game with the Bergers before I had a failure if it were me I'd be looking at the new Hornady ELD-X bullet.

Just throwing out another option if they don't work for you. Crittergitter is using a 200 something grain Barnes Lrx out of his 330 Dakota with great success.

Coming from a guy that took dozens of game with the Bergers before I had a failure if it were me I'd be looking at the new Hornady ELD-X bullet.
I'm betting my Accubond loads do anything the new Hornady proves to do. Not interested in them. At least until someone like Broz hammers dozens of elk. mtmuley

Just throwing out another option if they don't work for you. Crittergitter is using a 200 something grain Barnes Lrx out of his 330 Dakota with great success.
Not a big fan of copper. And a really good friend of mine has a bullet company that makes high BC monos. mtmuley

Sorry mtmuley, I'm shooting the 210 VLD Hunting outta my .300 RUM.

Have a perfect load worked up for it and can't say enough good things about the Berger bullets in my experience of using them.

Shooting the 190gr Berger VLD Hunting out of my .300wsm and have shot a lot of large game on all angles with them. Ive deliberately taken quartering on shots and directly going away angles to see their performance and yep i can say I'm happy enough to use them for our deer over here, including sambar stags which are a large asiatic deer species, and pound for pound make your mule deer and elk seem like sissy when they get hit by a bullet. (no offence to your games tenacity of course, some deer species just have the will to live, a lot more then others.)

I used to bush stalk with barnes ttsx 180gr and then have the magazine loaded with Berger 190gr bullets so if i had a longer shot i would just take out the barnes and use the bergers, (rifle is sighted dead on at 200m with the bergers and within an inch using the Barnes so no adjustments needed).

I will NEVER shoot at extended ranges, like over 350m or so with a solid copper projectile like a barnes x as i have seen too many failures on the bullets performance when velocity slows down and terminal impact decreases. I like to hit everything i shoot in the lungs, i don't care for broken bones, lung shot animals die, but they can live with broken bones. However if i was forced to shoot a deer at longer ranges and all i had was the barnes i would be pushing the crosshairs very close to his shoulder blade to make that projectile work and open up.

As for the 215's i can't see how they wouldn't work well for you.

Look forward to the results.

I switched to them out of my 300 WM last year. I only shot a deer with it, but worked well.

I tried a lot of loads and lengths with H-1000, but could barely get to a MOA. Switched to Retumbo and got much better accuracy and a lot more flexibility on lengths and charge.

This is my load out of my 300 RUM with the 215's.This is a 200 yard 3 shot group,not my best but had a less than spectacular piece of Vortex then.
93 grains of Retumbo
215 Hybrid
Federal 215 match primers
3040 fps with a spread average of 12 fps
COAL of 3.670

Attachments

• 2016-04-11 15.35.01.png
    2016-04-11 15.35.01.png
    128.2 KB · Views: 749
Nice. I"m going to use Retumbo also. Great velocity from a 215. Just what I was looking for. Thanks. mtmuley

mtmuley if you can track down Retumbo you better snag a good supply that stuff is tough to find without having to pay big bucks for shipping (if you can even find it online). I ran out for my 7mmMag and am now going to try MagPro under the 168grainers

Last edited:
This is my load out of my 300 RUM with the 215's.This is a 200 yard 3 shot group,not my best but had a less than spectacular piece of Vortex then.
93 grains of Retumbo
215 Hybrid
Federal 215 match primers
3040 fps with a spread average of 12 fps
COAL of 3.670

That is fine shooting.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member