Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Beginner Trapper Success

Well, that same box set was closed today with another large fox. This one had a much longer tail as well. Going to pick up the trap tomorrow and change my focus to bobcats.
Two really nice foxes. I might keep doing what you’re doing for a bit...seems to be working. Check out Clint Locklear...good podcasts and YouTube videos on cats

Congrats on the foxes so are cage traps all that Colorado allows?

Sadly yes. The worst part is we have a ton of coyotes around here, but no way to catch them. I have tried calling but no success so far.
That’s crazy hopefully that gets changed I’m in Ks and we can use all kinds of traps and now we can even hunt them at night with night vision or thermal scope certain times of the year and we still have tons of them I’m sure in states with more restrictive methods of take they are probably are way over populated

As hunting season died down this year I found myself with a lot of time on my hands and decided to take up trapping. Being from Colorado I can only use cage traps which I knew would be a little more difficult to get predators to go into and that I couldn't set many out. I got 2 XL Duke Cage traps which I set out baited with rabbit parts and fox pee. Finally after about 3 weeks a walked up to my first closed trap and caught a beautiful grey fox! It definitely took a lot of trial and error to finally catch one as well as hours a day up in the national forest looking for sign but it finally worked and I though I would share some pictures of the success.
View attachment 169329View attachment 169330
Great job , it’s not easy to catch foxes in cage traps! Congrats

That’s crazy hopefully that gets changed I’m in Ks and we can use all kinds of traps and now we can even hunt them at night with night vision or thermal scope certain times of the year and we still have tons of them I’m sure in states with more restrictive methods of take they are probably are way over populated
We can actually hunt at night too surprisingly

A8075320-0201-4C72-AA15-887DA70913C9.jpeg
Beautiful fox! We don’t have many left here these days, red or gray.

I decided to dabble in trapping this year. I’ve gotten a few beaver and coons and got my first coyote a couple days ago. I also have a mink line out, but no luck so far with them. I’m confident that, with time, my luck will change.

I have no family or friends that trap, so I’m learning as I go, but that’s the fun part.

Attachments

• 1445ABA6-7295-4AE0-94AD-DCB9FD3B0C35.jpeg
    1445ABA6-7295-4AE0-94AD-DCB9FD3B0C35.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 7
My taxidermist was very surprised when I brought in a grey as he didn’t know we had many around. I did catch this big red on cam looking at my trap.

Attachments

• C727DADF-F559-4953-927E-974749B835A3.jpeg
    C727DADF-F559-4953-927E-974749B835A3.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 9
Well, it appears someone was not too pleased to find one of my traps. The cd I had hanging as a visual was broken into pieces over the trap, the trap was set off and my camera was gone. Was planning on moving the trap anyways so now seemed like a good time to pick it up before they decided to steal the whole thing. On a positive note, I was very close to catching a bobcat as I had one investigate the trap but not go in it.

Well, it appears someone was not too pleased to find one of my traps. The cd I had hanging as a visual was broken into pieces over the trap, the trap was set off and my camera was gone. Was planning on moving the trap anyways so now seemed like a good time to pick it up before they decided to steal the whole thing. On a positive note, I was very close to catching a bobcat as I had one investigate the trap but not go in it.
Dang, that stinks.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back