Caribou Gear Tarp

Beginner Trapper Success

AggieHunter

As hunting season died down this year I found myself with a lot of time on my hands and decided to take up trapping. Being from Colorado I can only use cage traps which I knew would be a little more difficult to get predators to go into and that I couldn't set many out. I got 2 XL Duke Cage traps which I set out baited with rabbit parts and fox pee. Finally after about 3 weeks a walked up to my first closed trap and caught a beautiful grey fox! It definitely took a lot of trial and error to finally catch one as well as hours a day up in the national forest looking for sign but it finally worked and I though I would share some pictures of the success.
IMG_7106.jpgIMG_4200.JPEG

The worst part is seeing all the coyote sign around my traps knowing its impossible to catch them without footholds. Just need to work on my calling for them.
Got to love Colorado.

I've caught a few in my cat traps. we don't have many around where I live but I always like when one shows up.

The worst part is seeing all the coyote sign around my traps knowing its impossible to catch them without footholds. Just need to work on my calling for them.
Didn’t put out any traps this year because we moved from Westcliffe down to Rye in September. Do pretty well with the Bobcats in the Wet Mountain Valley depending on the snow fall. Had this guy in a trap one year! Young cat don’t know how she even got in the trap. I released her by the way.88DAFDE5-708D-4208-866F-55E839B11C00.jpeg8A0959BD-BE75-403D-9A95-CE7FFC630697.jpeg

As hunting season died down this year I found myself with a lot of time on my hands and decided to take up trapping. Being from Colorado I can only use cage traps which I knew would be a little more difficult to get predators to go into and that I couldn't set many out. I got 2 XL Duke Cage traps which I set out baited with rabbit parts and fox pee. Finally after about 3 weeks a walked up to my first closed trap and caught a beautiful grey fox! It definitely took a lot of trial and error to finally catch one as well as hours a day up in the national forest looking for sign but it finally worked and I though I would share some pictures of the success.
View attachment 169329View attachment 169330
that's awesome. way to go!

Congrats on the fox.
I did not know Colorado had those trapping laws. Our freedoms are dying the death of 1000 cuts.

Back