Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Bedding with Durham

nhenry

Hello all,
I found a putty I’m kind of interested in. Has anyone ever used Durham’s Water Putty for bedding a rifle? If so, how did it turn out and is it even worth sniffing around?

Never heard of it.
I tried Acraglass, but didn't care for it. Too soft in both regular & gel.
Have switched to Devcon.
With proper prep it adheres well to the tupperware stocks too.

Never heard of it.
I tried Acraglass, but didn't care for it. Too soft in both regular & gel.
Have switched to Devcon.
With proper prep it adheres well to the tupperware stocks too.
The Home Depot sells it for like 2 bucks a pound. I’ve read that it’s actually pretty good stuff

I've got some water pipe putty and have uased it on an outdoor faucet. Worked pretty good for several year's. Might even work as a stock bedding but not gonna for me. Been using liquid steel for a long long time and know how it works. I'm certain there are other things as good out there but I'm not into experimenting for the sake of experimenting.

Never used it for bedding but have used it to fill gaps in underlayment when installing flooring and worked good for that was super strong and can be molded when wet I would think it would work.

Pretty sure it wouldn’t hold up to recoil

That might be. The stuff I put on my water faucet was very hard when dried and bit brittle. Wonder if it shrinks when it dry's? Don't know but probably wouldn't be a good thing.

It claims it doesn’t shrink it might not hold up to recoil I just know it seems strong in the applications I’ve used it there is some videos on you tube of people testing it and it did break pretty easy when they hit it with a punch

It claims it doesn’t shrink it might not hold up to recoil I just know it seems strong in the applications I’ve used it there is some videos on you tube of people testing it and it did break pretty easy when they hit it with a punch
I watched that video and he said he hit it pretty hard with the hammer and punch, so I doubt lighter recoiling rounds would do a lot, especially if the stock has pillars and steel lugs. That’s just my $0.02 though

You really need something that doesn’t shrink. I use Marine Tex Gray. 13,000psi compression strength. 4,000psi tensile strength. Chemical and solvent resistant.

Quoting an article from Thomas “Speedy” Gonzalez, one of the most successful benchrest gunsmiths of all time:

“My only preference of one epoxy over another is their stability over time. My buddy who works for the Texas State Weights and Measures Department had me cast several of the most common types of epoxies used for bedding into 1.000″ machined blocks. After one year of being kept in a controlled climate and measured for shrinkage monthly, the Marine Tex shrunk only 1/10th of 1% (i.e. 0.1%) whereas almost all the others (including Devcon Steel formula, Devcon Aluminum formula…) shrunk 3% to 6%. The only other compounds that matched the Marine Tex were Araldite 1253 and Araldite 2014, with the latter being quite expensive for daily use.”

I've used Durhams on wood working projects.

Don't use it to bed a rifle. Just don't.

JB Weld is readily available and works great.

Vote here for Marine tex. Super easy to spread, doesn't run, and you can layer it on if you want to work a little at a time, ie bed the recoil lug and tang, then come back and bed the magazine compartments etc... I you won't even be able to tell you didn't do it all in one shot.

Back