Beartooth WMA/ Big Snowys

1whohunts

Any Montana elk hunters have any advice on these two areas? Which one over the other kind of advice.

I've not hunted either for elk. Hope someone can give you a few pointers. Since the Beartooth is a tougher draw, might be hard to find guys who have much intel on that.

Archery or rifle? I rifle hunted the Beartooth one year on a deer permit, and have had a couple of friends that drew the elk permit, both rifle.

I have no experience in the Snowy's. The Beartooth is open to one and all for archery season and by permit only for rifle. The Beartooth is a physically demanding hunt because much of the area is walk-in only. Horses make things more doable if you have access to them. I know plenty of bulls get pulled out of there every year. Maybe you can try rifle hunting the Snowy's and archery on the Beartooth?

There is a reason the Beartooth is open to general tags during archery. It is a much better unit later in the season. There is a lot of wide open country that the elk move into once they have herded up. I am sure there are resident elk there all year, but the odds of shooting a nice bull are better later on in the year.

Looks like it might take 6-8 years to draw a bull tag for the rifle season in the Beartooth wma and a couple years for a rifle cow tag.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back