Bears on the bait

Nbell thanks so much. That's great info. I'd heard dog food as well and thought about heating up bacon grease at the site and putting it on the food in the morning and sitting on it the same evening. Molasses sounds great too. I'll definitely put the trail cam up. Can't wait to get started.

Hey I'm starting to bait this year here in Wyoming for the first time in my life. What are you guys using for bait and is a 5 gallon jug sufficient to put it in? I'm thinking dog food with bacon grease or honey for bait. Thanks for the advice gang

Dog food works .but is way expensive. I use 3-way sweet from the local feed store,about 10$, for 50lbs. Out dated bread and sweet rolls from the local distributor 20$ a pickup load, Used cooking oil from the local cafe-Free, I buy bait sweet and attractant from Master Baiters ,Howe Idaho(on Line) I buy discount gals of syrup ,where ever,Everyone has their own mix,most work . One thing I have learned that might help,is quit trying to mask your scent when at the bait site. I wear an old t-shirt and socks til I can't stand them ,then they go to the bait site when I set it out,and hang in a tree. The bears are used to my scent right up front and cannot tell when I am at the site. I have put out 400 lbs of bait in two weeks so far,depends on how many bears are hitting. Come up with your own mix and methods,it's half the fun!

Attachments

• 102.JPG
    102.JPG
    105 KB · Views: 413
  • DSCF1802.JPG
    DSCF1802.JPG
    80 KB · Views: 404
  • DSCF1813.JPG
    DSCF1813.JPG
    82.1 KB · Views: 408
  • DSCF3296.JPG
    DSCF3296.JPG
    78.5 KB · Views: 412
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    46.1 KB · Views: 405
Last edited:
image.jpg

Well it took 12 days but happy 10th plus 12 days birthday to my son. 20 plus hours in the stand finally paid off yesterday. Proud dad and happy kid. Was a fairly small bear but the fact it was a boar let me tell him it was okay to shoot it. I know I was far from 10 when I got to shoot my first one.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back