Bears in the rain?

TRS_Montana

So a buddy and I have been planning a bear hunt for this weekend since November. It just so happens that this weekend is forecasted to be the first ever hurricane in MT. How do bears respond to inclement weather? We were planning on heading up high, but it looks like it might snow this weekend. Do you guys change your strategy if you know it's going to be raining or windy?

We are going to camp around Hungry Horse and hunt in the nearby draws. Anyone have any specific info on conditions there? Should we just spend our days in the breweries in Columbia Falls?

My bear hunting knowledge is pretty minimal, so any info is much appreciated!

Hahaa. The brewery option is tempting!

The old saying hunt when you can...

Spring weather seems to calm at sunrise and sunset for some reason. I would make sure im in a good spot during those times. Its tough with sunset at 10:00 pm and sunrise at 6:00 am. Im getting home around 11:30pm and need to be up by 4:00am to hike in by daybreak. That leaves about 4 hours of sleep. Use the mid day crappy weather to get some sleep so you can hit daybreak and dusk. The bears still need to eat even in bad weather. 90% of the bears i see are with in 1 hour of daybreak or dusk.

Very cool area. I will be watching this to see how it goes.

This years moisture has the ticks off the charts. Im covered in them each time ive been out so you could pick ticks at the brewery mid day but dont miss daybreak/dusk imo.

Good luck and post some pictures of your adventure!

Last edited:
They will be out in all weather feeding their hungry stomachs. A friend of mine just killed a bear that went almost 300 pounds dressed out! Best of luck.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back