Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Bears are awake!

Nambaster

Bears are awake in Idaho! I went out yesterday and spotted a reddish brownish one out browsing the grass. I put a mock stalk on him and got within shooting range and gave him some space. I told myself that I really wanted a blonde one this year but reddish brownish sure was pretty. Looks like we still have some thumb twiddling to do until the 15th of April.

I looked at some stuff around 7000 ft in SE MT. Still a lot of snow. The stuff that is open doesn’t have any green on it yet.

All my usual indices are pointing toward kinda early action unless it's cloudy and 30* for the next month.

I saw a big set of tracks at about 6500 feet this weekend. Probably grizzly by the size, but I didn't check close enough to say for sure.

We have a cam set up here in Pa watching a sow n cubs over the winter in their den she left abt 2 weeks ago with the kids
The Pa game commission sets this up every yr is a live feed kinda cool to check in once in a while

Trying to determine the best time during the 2022 Idaho spring Bear season to show up for a spot and stalk Bear hunt, any recommendations or suggestions?

Hey Guys,
Trying to get a DIY Spot & Stalk Bear trip put together. Done a ton of research the last couple weeks and here is what I have gathered... would be awesome if any of you guys with experience would let me run some of my ideas by you
Dates: Anything before middle of may can be a toss up, end of may, early june is likely best bet for access and bears.

Units:
Unit 1: I have come across unit 1 in many articles and forums. What I have concurred is that this unit is very thick and rugged country... but lots of bears. Has anyone had any experience in this unit? It does not allow baiting or hounds, and that sounds like a huge plus for anybody looking to stalk bears. Sounds like the East side of Priest Lake is the best bet for glassing country?

Unit 4: I have also come across Unit 4 quite a bit as well. Sounds like this unit is slightly more open country and more accessible... but baiting and hounds is allowed. A few articles have noted that there are enough baiting outfits to make it difficult to kill a bear by S&S. Anyone have any experience S&S in this area?

Unit 12: This unit has come up quite a bit as well. Good harvest numbers, and appears to have good glassing country. A few other forums have noted that the upper end of the unit by the Lochsa River is more suited for S&S but has a good amount of guiding outfits.

Unit 33: Good bear numbers, but can get busy due to proximity to Boise

Unit 39: Good bear numbers, but can get busy due to proximity to Boise. Harvest numbers are likely skewed due to number of hunters.

Unit 43: This unit sounds like it is easier to move around in vehicle-wise. Lots of public land here, and borders unit 39 but is a little higher in elevation.

Have also been reading into the Frank Church/Selway Zones and they sound like they can definitely be productive

We also will likely buy wolf tags if we end up hunting units that have a population of wolves. Sounds like they hang more up in elevation, regardless of snow line. Anyone have any pointers for this?

If anyone who has hunted these areas or others in the state can contribute to my findings or speculations it would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Hey Guys,
Trying to get a DIY Spot & Stalk Bear trip put together. Done a ton of research the last couple weeks and here is what I have gathered... would be awesome if any of you guys with experience would let me run some of my ideas by you
Dates: Anything before middle of may can be a toss up, end of may, early june is likely best bet for access and bears.

Units:
Unit 1: I have come across unit 1 in many articles and forums. What I have concurred is that this unit is very thick and rugged country... but lots of bears. Has anyone had any experience in this unit? It does not allow baiting or hounds, and that sounds like a huge plus for anybody looking to stalk bears. Sounds like the East side of Priest Lake is the best bet for glassing country?

Unit 4: I have also come across Unit 4 quite a bit as well. Sounds like this unit is slightly more open country and more accessible... but baiting and hounds is allowed. A few articles have noted that there are enough baiting outfits to make it difficult to kill a bear by S&S. Anyone have any experience S&S in this area?

Unit 12: This unit has come up quite a bit as well. Good harvest numbers, and appears to have good glassing country. A few other forums have noted that the upper end of the unit by the Lochsa River is more suited for S&S but has a good amount of guiding outfits.

Unit 33: Good bear numbers, but can get busy due to proximity to Boise

Unit 39: Good bear numbers, but can get busy due to proximity to Boise. Harvest numbers are likely skewed due to number of hunters.

Unit 43: This unit sounds like it is easier to move around in vehicle-wise. Lots of public land here, and borders unit 39 but is a little higher in elevation.

Have also been reading into the Frank Church/Selway Zones and they sound like they can definitely be productive

We also will likely buy wolf tags if we end up hunting units that have a population of wolves. Sounds like they hang more up in elevation, regardless of snow line. Anyone have any pointers for this?

If anyone who has hunted these areas or others in the state can contribute to my findings or speculations it would be greatly appreciated!!!!
welcome to HT

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back