MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Bear...

MLaird

Had a first for me today. I decided to take a day off and take the family out hiking. About 1.5 miles up the trail to the lake I went around a hard corner and came face-to-face with a black bear standing in the middle of the trail, probably 10-12 yards. We had been singing and making lots of racket so I was pretty surprised to see him...but it didn't seem surprised to see me, he just stood there looking at me. I remember saying, "Bear" and pulled my spray out. My wife grabbed our 6 yr old and turned back down the trail while I started backing down slowly. I really wanted to get my phone out and take a pic but I was carrying my 4 yr old on my back and decided not to risk it. As far as I could tell he didn't move, just went back to eating berries.

I was glad that it was a black bear and not a grizzly. I was surprised and concerned with my family so close but it was pretty cool for everyone to see a bear up close. I've lived in MT a long time and spent quite a bit of time out in the mountains but this was the first time I've ever run into a bear close up.

Glad you and your family made it back down the mountain safe. Very cool but scary experience.

Had a hunting partner that had a similar experience.He said I will never hunt again...Next morning he said I will never hunt again "Yesterday".:cool:

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JRP325
Back