Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Bear Skinning Style

KayakMacGyver

I was watching an Elk Talk Live one day (I think?) and noticed a pretty cool way that Randy has some bear hides tanned/displayed. Hoping someone can explain to me if there are specific cuts that have to be made to get a hide to display like this? Tube skinning is what comes to mind for me, but I really don't know if that's the right term or a technique.

Hard to tell, but I'm wondering if the paws are still attached to the hide, or if they've been removed? If it's as simple as making the same cuts as you would for a rug, great...that shouldn't be too tough.

Maybe even @Big Fin himself may chime in, which would be super helpful.

We have two bear tags coming up in SE Alaska and I don't have the space to get rug mounts done. I like what Randy has done, almost creating a cloak out of the hides.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Screenshot_20210427-114428_Gallery.jpg

I stole the idea from @Greenhorn. His bear pelt collection is world-class.

It is easy to do. It is the same cuts you would make it you were to make a rug from your bear. Drop it off at a taxidermist or tannery and get it tanned. Yup, leave paw/claws attached.
Perfect. We'll see how SE AK treats us as we aim to start our own bear pelt collection. Thanks Randy!

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back