Caribou Gear Tarp

Bear opportunity?

Butcher

Hey guys I was looking into Minnesota tags for bear. I live in iowa and I was wondering about it for an alternative to a western state. From what I understand is you can buy pref points and the no quota zone isn’t really good for bear? I looked up outfitters and they looked oddly affordable lol
Being a early fall season I would assume the bugs would be at optimal levels. Thanks for any insight and any experience

Lots of guys have success in the no quota zone. I personally haven't hunted any of it so I can't give you any concrete recommendations, but I know there are a plenty of successful outfitters and DIY folk tagging out every year. If you can find a reputable outfitter or have a handle on e-scouting, you could have a fun hunt. It probably goes without saying, but just in case it doesn't, you'd definitely have a bad time if you tried to hunt in the southern part of the state. Most people are hugging the no quota boundary pretty tightly since that's the closest to the state's core bear range.

If by optimal levels of bugs, you mean there might still be billions of them, you'd be right. Early September in the Minnesota swamps can be a rough go with mosquitos.

Hey guys I was looking into Minnesota tags for bear. I live in iowa and I was wondering about it for an alternative to a western state. From what I understand is you can buy pref points and the no quota zone isn’t really good for bear? I looked up outfitters and they looked oddly affordable lol
Being a early fall season I would assume the bugs would be at optimal levels. Thanks for any insight and any experience
Some of the biggest bears in the state are shot in the no quota zone, especially in areas where there is corn. This year bugs were awful but they were only out last 20 minutes of light. I had shannon bug tamer suit, they were not an issue.

Thanks for the replies! Would anyone be able to direct me toward a reputable outfitter? The no quota zone would be otc? I use a thermacell often, I’ve never heard of a bug tamer suit. Again thanks for the help

Thanks for the replies! Would anyone be able to direct me toward a reputable outfitter? The no quota zone would be otc? I use a thermacell often, I’ve never heard of a bug tamer suit. Again thanks for the help
If you go on the mn dnr website there is a list of all of the registered guides. I hunted with Black Bear Outfitters out of Finland, had a very good hunt. But that is a lottery zone. Go on dnr website and start calling, guides hometown is on list so you should be able to figure out no quota guys.

I am originally from MN and grew up bear area 51. Knew of people that did well on public land in no quote areas but secretive about their spots. All baiting.

I would look at outfitters in the NW. My brother does custom harvesting in that area and they have seen some big bears come out of some cornfields up there.

Cool That should help me get the outfitters weeded out! I appreciate the replies. I just want to hunt something other than deer next year

If i remember right there was an absolute stud shot there last fall. Picture was in outdoor news.
I'm also a subscriber to MN outdoor news but I don't remember that, but there is always a handful of 500+ pounders shot in NW MN in the no-quota zone. There was that 700lb'er shot by roseau in 2017.

I asked the owner what size is the norm and he said 175-225lbs. Does that sound right with your guys experiences? I will be happy with anything. I was thinking of taking a 44 rifle with hardcast 305 gr. I just need a comfortable cushion now.

I asked the owner what size is the norm and he said 175-225lbs. Does that sound right with your guys experiences? I will be happy with anything. I was thinking of taking a 44 rifle with hardcast 305 gr. I just need a comfortable cushion now.
Yearlings or 2 year olds can already be around that weight and so I’d think they make the bulk of harvest most places in the country and 175-225 would therefore make sense. Probably no reason you couldnt hold out for a bigger one though if you wanted to. A 175-225 lb bear would be perfect in my opinion if you want good eating!

I’m definitely in it for the meat but would love to shoot something bigger. I’ve never bear hunted and had just a small bit of bear meat and thought it was good. The last 2 years I’ve tried hunting elk in colo and come up empty, it’d be nice to go out of state and bring something home lol.

Also once a bear is shot at a bait does it scare off other bears? Do new bears take up the old bears residence? I’ve never hunted over bait for anything so Not 100% sure what to expect.

That bullet selection doesn't make sense and it's not a legal option. From the legal big game cartridges part of the regs: "The projectile used has a soft point or is an expanding bullet type"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back