Bear Mittens?

jryoung

I've been thinking about what to with my bear hide from the Hunt Talk Bear hunt. It has been tanned but since it isn't really rug worthy I was thinking about making some mitten from it for hunting.

With a bear hide not as soft and supple and much longer (thinking fill) as say a beaver, do you think it'd be worth it? Do you know anyone that does work like this?

Contact Wild Things Fur in Wisconsin. Easy to find with a search. I had mittens made from some of my beavers a few years back and they are wonderful and WARM!

I have a pair of sealskin mittens and a pair of sheepskin mittens that are big gauntlet style and they are both awesome. They look easy enough to make just whip stitch them with dental floss. I think I would find a pair of big fleece non-quilted mittens and sew them in as liners, or just use liners like choppers. I always wanted to make a pair of bear hide or mountain goat chaps. As for durability, if you think your mittens are going to get used harder than the bear used his hide... You must be pretty tough on mittens..

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back