bear in the Ouachita national forest

throwin brass

has ne one ever hunted black bear or deer in the ouachita national forest in arkansas. im goin on a hunt there for both in late november just curious to what to expect.

I have not followed Arkansas hunting laws in over ten years. I have hunted deer there and on the Oklahoma side. Nice country. Black bear hunting became legal after I left, but only on private land.

I have not followed Arkansas hunting laws in over ten years. I have hunted deer there and on the Oklahoma side. Nice country. Black bear hunting became legal after I left, but only on private land.
I am somewhat of a novice hunter, and am looking to backpack into the Ouachita Forest, and was wondering if you had any spots or tips you could give me. I plan on going this December but I want to have it planned out and become more knowledgeable before I actually go.

I am somewhat of a novice hunter, and am looking to backpack into the Ouachita Forest, and was wondering if you had any spots or tips you could give me. I plan on going this December but I want to have it planned out and become more knowledgeable before I actually go.
Don't hold your breath. :ROFLMAO:

Bear hunting is Arkansas is basically over the day the first acorn (akerns to locals) falls. This year it happened the first week of Sept before the season even started.
I'd wager there is a near zero percentage chance of success in November or December for bears.
For an idea of what AGFC expects here is the breakdown of the quota for Zone 1 (the Ozarks but it's the same idea):
400 bears for Sept archery
50 for Oct muzzleloader
50 for Nov rifle seasons (and 99.9% of those are deer hunters who happen to see a bear. All combo tag carries have a bear tag in their pocket).

Check out Clay Newcombs old Bear Hunting Magazine podcast.
Especially the episode titled Sheep Hunt of the South for more info.

Welcome to Hunttalk

Bear hunting magazine podcasts by Clay Newcomb are a great source of information. But from what I've researched, look for mast crop and concentration of bear sign. Look for small breaks in thick cover.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rds
Back