Bear hunting in the rain - Waste of time?

Bombsnbullets

I have hunted in crappy conditions (rain, sleet, heavy snow, thunderstorms, etc.) and have had success finding deer and elk, but I haven’t needed to fight weather for bears. I have been told that bears aren’t active when it’s raining, but that seems like a “fair weather” hunter’s .02. This year I’m pretty limited on available mountain time and the next week is calling for a lot of rain. Regardless, I will be up there but I am wondering if I need to adjust my tactics as visibility will likely be low. Advice?

I am a poor bear hunter, so don't have much to say about their behavior in rain.

But, is there a finer feeling than a spring rain in the mountains? The winter was long and cold, and next week the green earth will be coming to life, and the wet mountain air will be as clean as it could ever be. Enjoy your week of hunting.

As soon as the rain stops I have had good luck. Never had any luck in the rain or anything on camera even

I see majority of my bears during or immediately after weather. I have never shot a bear on a "nice" day

This is what I've learned about ALL game. If you are not on stand immediately after an adverse weather event (when it's a clearing up situation and not just a temporary lull) you're missing out on prime time. It may not last long, but you have to BE THERE.

Im in the same boat. My tag closes next week and we have rain forecasted every day I have left. So I guess I will see.

If it's socked in or slushing such that there is no visibility, that obviously puts a damper on spot/stalk. If you can see at all, go for it. Odds are good you'll have the mountains to yourself. They live out there all year after all. If hunting in a steady rain system I focus on areas I can glass from valley bottom up, as opposed to bigger cross-canyon vistas. You can get short sight windows up under the cloud base and I've glassed a number of bears this way.

Ive seen multiple bears cruising in the rain and snow even in some really heavy down pours. I'd say even if it's light and consistent they'll be out. If it's sporadic with some sun you betcha they'll be out. Ive taken two on a rainy snowy day. I think bears like them cool cloudy rainy days. you aren't gonna get one on the couch wondering.

Im in the same boat. My tag closes next week and we have rain forecasted every day I have left. So I guess I will see.

I'm heading out today with a very ominous looking forecast. I guess I'll be able to provide a much more informed opinion next week. :)

Good luck!

I'm heading out today with a very ominous looking forecast. I guess I'll be able to provide a much more informed opinion next week. :)

Good luck!
Good luck...... are you taking big juicy again

If it's socked in or slushing such that there is no visibility, that obviously puts a damper on spot/stalk. If you can see at all, go for it. Odds are good you'll have the mountains to yourself. They live out there all year after all. If hunting in a steady rain system I focus on areas I can glass from valley bottom up, as opposed to bigger cross-canyon vistas. You can get short sight windows up under the cloud base and I've glassed a number of bears this way.
I think that’s what I’ll have to do. I’m hunting a pretty heavy timbered area so it shouldn’t be bad

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back