Yeti GOBOX Collection

Bear bait behavior

Nambaster

Last week I ran into an outfitter on National Forest land. He had a client with him and he mentioned that he had baits all over the place. As I stumbled across bear tracks I noticed that all the traffic was going in towards his bait sites. I could obviously see where his baits were placed because of the commotion that the crows were making. Normally I catch bears out feeding on grass and they aren’t moving. I also find clumps of scat that have the appearance of small horse droppings because they are packed with grass. Alternatively, I noticed black bear stools filled with corn and M&M candy shells instead of the green grass. I could tell that the bears were cruising from bait site to bait site rather than breaking in their guts on greenery.

The guide mentioned that I was welcome to hunt between bait sites and try to catch a bear in between, but I was really not feeling it. I guess my question is does anyone know how bears act to baits when they are surrounded? Etiquette wise, I just decided to give the guy and his clients the mountain. If you set up a bait site how do you feel about other hunters being in the area? As a spot and stalk hunter I just felt as if the area was claimed and tainted. Bait hunters to me are far more dedicated than I am. They have a level of patience that is beyond my capability. It is Impressive that a hunter would be dedicated enough to pack in a heavy bait pile prior to packing out a dead bear.

One last thing that struck me as weird was the outfitter mentioned he urinates at the bait sites so the bears get accustomed to his smell. Is this really how it is, done?

I rather others not be on the area just because two baits too close together just makes it difficult for both people. I never pee at my bait. I will pee at my coyote trapping baits long before I would pee at my bear bait

I can’t help you out on the bear advice, but unless the guy pees his pants every time he goes to hunt I just don’t see the bears getting use to him from that smell.

I don't know about etiquette rules regarding hunting bait sites, but in Wyoming, it is illegal to hunt within 100 yards of a bait site and they have to be registered. But outside the 100 yard distance from registered bait sites, other hunters have legal authority to hunt by law.

Its a strickly judgement call, i give baits space when i find them but am not above glassing the slopes around them. I run baits in 2 states and hope people respect my sites as a lot of work and some $ goes into them. I also have a lot of respect for a outfitter that has a decent conversation with you about his baits and would probably just go elsewhere after, now if he has attitude and the this is my land approach i may not give him as much space... its bear hunting keep it fun and enjoy the spring

I don't know about etiquette rules regarding hunting bait sites, but in Wyoming, it is illegal to hunt within 100 yards of a bait site and they have to be registered. But outside the 100 yard distance from registered bait sites, other hunters have legal authority to hunt by law.
This is not correct in Wyoming.

This is not correct in Wyoming.

Ummm, I stand corrected. Read the brochure and went online and read the actual regulations and related statute. I am not sure where I read that from unless it was an old brochure. Some HMAs in Wyoming have restrictions like that but now at least in the general hunting areas you can hunt over someone else's registered bait site, though that is probably not very ethical and might create a confrontation you may or may not want.

Back