Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Bear attack near Cody

Rocky176

A grizzly bear attacked a hunting guide and one of his clients Thursday night in the Washakie Wilderness.
The Cody Enterprise reports the guide, John Sheets of Boulder Basin Outfitters, was field dressing a cow elk when his female client was attacked by the bear. Sheets rushed the bear, grabbed it by the neck and stabbed it with his hunting knife.
That’s when the bear turned on him, Sheets told the Enterprise. It dragged the client downhill and chewed on her before returning to bite Sheets’ neck. The bear then dragged the elk carcass on top of Sheets. He also suffered a broken leg in the attack.
Both injured people were able to get on their horses and make contact with another outfitter. They are recovering in a Billings hospital.
The bear is still at large and Wyoming Game and Fish said there is no action planned against the bear.

I shot my cow elk last year with this outfitter. Coming off the mountain the first day we had grizz tracks following the hunters who left before us.

When we were quartering my elk out I asked how long until the bears hit the gut pile. The guide responded that the bears already know we are here and are waiting for us to leave. That's intense when you are riding out at dark.

Hopefully they come out ok. That would be a feeling I don't ever want to feel, knowing they are watching and waiting.

I guess to me, that if a bear is getting so bold that it is attacking hunters who are actively processing game, there might be a problem.

“This incident happened extremely quickly; it appears this is a situation of a grizzly bear aggressively taking an elk carcass for food. *Due to the remoteness of the area and the inability to identify the offending bear, no management action will be taken at this time," said Cody Regional Wildlife Supervisor Dan Smith.

Hopefully if or when a season has been in place for grizzly, the bears might get a little new found respect for man.
Can't blame a bear for wanting an easy meal, but they seem a little bold and in a hurry to claim a carcus in that region.

Yeah. I could see if the bear was targeting campsites, multiple people , or housing areas, but out in the wilderness, over a fresh kill? Seems like a hazard that comes with our relationship we have with nature as hunters.

My instinct is to destroy the bear. It will continue the same action everytime it hears a gunshot.

A bear will be a bear doesn't include attacking humans that aren't bothering it. An easy meal doesn't include humans.

My instinct is to destroy the bear. It will continue the same action everytime it hears a gunshot.

A bear will be a bear doesn't include attacking humans that aren't bothering it. An easy meal doesn't include humans.

Is it possible the bear didn’t even know they were humans and came in looking for the smell?

Is it possible the bear didn’t even know they were humans and came in looking for the smell?

I think bears have an instinct of the human scent and know it's danger. Bears that ignore it are dangerous.

Read the last paragraph in the first post.

They need to reinstate a grizzly season, and the Bears need to find a newfound fear of man.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back